Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Hands-On > Christmas Decorations » Is anyone else anti-LED like me?

Christmas Decorations Christmas is a hands-on art. From the lights we put on the house to the decorations we put on the tree to the great foods we eat in the process, Christmas is a time of doing -- and this is the place we gather to talk, plan and share.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,432
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,567)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
No Longer Alone in a...
By MMC Editor
05-31-2002 09:30 PM
39,360 Views  0 Posts
How to Make Craft...
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 09:04 PM
44,053 Views  0 Posts
"Little Merry Christmas"......
By MerryCarey
05-24-2012 01:16 PM
51,589 Views  0 Posts
Top Ten Things Santa...
By MMC Editor
06-13-2002 04:07 PM
50,412 Views  0 Posts
It's a Wonderful Life...
By MMC Editor
06-09-2011 09:17 PM
52,067 Views  0 Posts

Old 09-26-2012, 08:32 AM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 11,466 Times in 1,960 Posts
xmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemen
I have never even entertained the idea at all about putting LED lights out for my Christmas or Halloween decorations before. However, I did look at them because I did try a couple of the LED lights for inside my house and some night lights and they weren't that bad. LED lights have come a long way, they do cost more and they yet they are more cost efficient to operate....

Right now, I'm on the fence about them. And this is coming from a guy that puts up anywheres between 8000 15,000 lights up on the inside and outside of his house. I think for now, I want to step back, watch and see how they look with other people using them and maybe, just maybe, sometime down the road I may try them. But right now, I cannot forsee the need to throw out all my mini, C7 and C9 light strands just to have LED's.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xmastidings For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (09-27-2012), Holiday (09-26-2012)
Old 09-26-2012, 09:56 AM
Magi
Last Achievements

Thanked 19,227 Times in 3,103 Posts
Holiday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I am not fond of them either. Maybe it's not wanting to let go of what I have always knows as "Christmas Lights" - I'm a traditionalist, I guess!! I just don't care for the looks of them....at my house!

The Following User Says Thank You to Holiday For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (09-27-2012)
Old 09-26-2012, 09:59 AM
Merry Forums Chestnut Roaster
Last Achievements

sublimesting has shown a merry dispositionsublimesting has shown a merry dispositionsublimesting has shown a merry disposition
Yeah, that may just be your iris burning.
The Following User Says Thank You to sublimesting For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2012, 10:45 PM
Christmasologist

Last Achievements

Storeytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
I love the look of the incandscents much better. They are so much warmer and for me, reminiscent of all my childhood memories.

But, when you put as many lights up as I do and you use light controllers the attraction is the amount of lights you can burn without burning up your wallet paying the electric bill. My bill every year for my outside display is around $350.00. As much as I like the old lights, my bad economic situation is being more and more attracted to LED's. Of course the downside to that is that they aren't producing them at a price that offsets the energy consumption yet.

As for the fuzzy, dizzying look. It's because you're looking at LED's that aren't full wave. All the LED's you get at Walmart, Target, etc. are not full wave. That also means that they aren't dimmable, which is a no no for someone who sequences their lights like I do. I have only mixed a few in to my display, but they are full wave.
Christmasstar (09-27-2012), Holiday (09-27-2012), sublimesting (09-27-2012)
Old 09-27-2012, 06:04 AM
Last Achievements

sublimesting has shown a merry dispositionsublimesting has shown a merry dispositionsublimesting has shown a merry disposition
What some genius needs to do is put that wonderful opaque bulb around the LED light for the outdoor lights. I think that would work.....wait a minute I'll be rigght back (searches the internet)....yup, just as I figured, when ever there's a good idea omeone has thought of it.

http://lifelikeartificialchristmastr...=bing_shopping

Such things do exist!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to sublimesting For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2012, 07:11 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 36,262 Times in 5,590 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by sublimesting View Post
What some genius needs to do is put that wonderful opaque bulb around the LED light for the outdoor lights. I think that would work.....wait a minute I'll be rigght back (searches the internet)....yup, just as I figured, when ever there's a good idea omeone has thought of it.

http://lifelikeartificialchristmastr...=bing_shopping

Such things do exist!!!
Aw ... the link is coming up 404 Not Found for me ...

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
The Following User Says Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2012, 12:41 PM
Last Achievements

All I did was googled "opaque led c7 christmas lights". That particular set is good for 100,000 hours and is $44 for 48 bulbs. That strand would last me 285 years!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sublimesting For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (09-27-2012), Holiday (09-28-2012), MerryCarey (09-27-2012)
Old 09-27-2012, 06:56 PM
Leader of the Heavenly Host

Last Achievements

Thanked 76,149 Times in 12,623 Posts
Christmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I like led lights. I have a lot of them
Love that they do not heat up and love how they look. Mostly love that they save energy which means I can get even more this year!
Also they come in so many types, shapes and designs.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:25 PM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 3,676 Times in 881 Posts
momnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companion
I know what you mean...it's not the Christmas glow of yore, that's for sure!

“Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmas-time.”
Laura Ingalls Wilder
Old 09-28-2012, 06:03 AM
Last Achievements

And I am a big fan of Christmas of yore too