Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Decorations Christmas is a hands-on art. From the lights we put on the house to the decorations we put on the tree to the great foods we eat in the process, Christmas is a time of doing -- and this is the place we gather to talk, plan and share.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,097
Threads: 54,007
Top Poster: xmas365 (166,841)
Welcome to our newest member, AmyHardy

Old 10-14-2012, 04:58 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class
Last Achievements

redkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elf
Bath and Body candles

There's been a lot of discussion about Yankee Candles here, but I'm personally partial to the candles from Bath and Body Works. Their 3-wick candles are a soy base and even though they burn fairly quickly, they produce a strong scent. The suggested price is $20, but they regularly have a 2 for $20 deal. They've released their holiday scents for 2012 and had a 2 for $20 promotion this weekend. I've stocked up, and the scents of Christmas will be filling our house for the next couple months. Does anybody else prefer these candles to Yankee?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redkaga For This Useful Post:
Cinder (10-24-2012), Everyday_XMAS (10-16-2012), lauriebear (10-15-2012)

Old 10-14-2012, 05:24 PM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 8,032 Times in 2,441 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
Absolutely not. Our experience with them has been pretty lousy. The ones we purchased last year didn't last long and the scents were not sustained as we burned the candles. They started out strong but as the season wore down they started to smell more and more like just wax. I told my wife that maybe we just got a bad batch but because we bought four of them and our experience was the same with three of them she swears we won't be spending our candle money there again. She loves a lot of their other stuff but she's sworn now to Yankee.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:02 PM
Magi

Last Achievements

Thanked 53,026 Times in 9,621 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I have enjoyed the candle I bought from Bath and Body Works so far, it's pine scented. I burned it some last year and still have some of it left this year. I burned it a few days ago and it's still strong. Makes me curious, however, if the scent holds up as it melts down. I will find out soon!

I do love Yankee Candles too!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Christmas-A-Holic For This Useful Post:
lauriebear (10-15-2012)
Old 10-15-2012, 01:19 AM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,191 Times in 426 Posts
DoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
They have a couple different candle companies there. I went in to try out some smells this year and got the smaller ones and really like it. Great scents that they have released.
I have gotten away from the pillars and jars though, the tarts, oils and wall plug ins from Bath and Body and Yankee are the best, always a long lasting smell.
lauriebear (10-15-2012)
Old 10-15-2012, 08:16 AM
Merry Forums Chestnut Roaster
Last Achievements

jinglebellrock512 has shown a merry dispositionjinglebellrock512 has shown a merry dispositionjinglebellrock512 has shown a merry dispositionjinglebellrock512 has shown a merry dispositionjinglebellrock512 has shown a merry disposition
I'm absolutely in love with B&BW candles!! My favorites are twisted peppermint, Fresh Balsam, and Vanilla Snowflake! I'm obsessed with B&BW Christmas Smells!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jinglebellrock512 For This Useful Post:
Cinder (10-24-2012), lauriebear (10-15-2012)
Old 10-15-2012, 09:48 AM
Christmas Deity

Thanked 8,590 Times in 1,468 Posts
lauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the tree
I am a big fan of B&BW products, at one time in my life that was all I ever bought, as I started trying new products I have gotten away from them, and well, I compared them with some of the other brands out there and while I feel their candles do not last as long I have never had any trouble with the scent lasting throughout. Although now I do prefer the Yankee candle to the B&BW ones.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:08 PM
Christmas dreaming...

Last Achievements

Thanked 75,479 Times in 15,106 Posts
xmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
We get a lot of candles from my wife's students, that is the favorite Christmas gift from the kids. We have received some B&BW candles and they have been okay. Living less than an hour from Yankee Candle's birthplace we have a soft spot for them. Last year the best Pine/Christmas tree scented candle we had were the cheap ones from Glade, they made the whole house smell like the tree, they just burned way to fast.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:23 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class
Last Achievements

Gingerbread Latte has shown a merry dispositionGingerbread Latte has shown a merry dispositionGingerbread Latte has shown a merry disposition
candle

A few years ago I bought a Sweet Cinnamon Pumpkin jar candle from B&BW, and it has been my favorite fall candle ever! Wonderful scent that filled the whole house, and slow burning. I believe it was made by Slatkin at the time. I'm not sure if they still have those; the most recents ads I've seen from there are highlighting candles by White Barn Candle Co., so I'm not sure how those compare. They have a sale on their small candles this week for $5, so it might be a good opportunity to test them out!
Old 10-16-2012, 07:38 AM
Magi

Last Achievements

Thanked 53,026 Times in 9,621 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by Gingerbread Latte View Post
A few years ago I bought a Sweet Cinnamon Pumpkin jar candle from B&BW, and it has been my favorite fall candle ever! Wonderful scent that filled the whole house, and slow burning. I believe it was made by Slatkin at the time. I'm not sure if they still have those; the most recents ads I've seen from there are highlighting candles by White Barn Candle Co., so I'm not sure how those compare. They have a sale on their small candles this week for $5, so it might be a good opportunity to test them out!
The one I bought from them last year is Slatkin (pine scented) and I burned it almost completely down yesterday and it's still going strong with fragrance. I guess it's the brand and/or scent you purchase from them that makes the difference of quality. I have not bought a White Barn Candle so I have no idea of the quality of those.

I just received that email with the $5 sale! =)

Old 10-16-2012, 08:42 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class
Last Achievements

redkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elf
candle

Originally Posted by Gingerbread Latte View Post
I believe Slatkin is just a "fragrance designer" who was hired by B&BW. Locally (B&BW is HQ'ed about 15 miles from my house), White Barn has a couple separate stores. I haven't noticed a difference in the quality of the product, but I'm used to the Slatkin scents so I prefer those. I'm afraid those might be phasing out since there aren't any new Slatkins on the shelves this year, but his scents from last year are still being produced.
The Following User Says Thank You to redkaga For This Useful Post:
Gingerbread Latte (10-16-2012)