Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Hands-On > Christmas Food » When do turkeys go on sale?

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Food From eggnog to candy canes to ginger bread and beyond the flavors and treats of Christmas are a delight. Here we engage in all things connected to Christmas foods -- from recipes to how-to's. This section of the Merry Forums is presented by Merry Christmas Recipes, our own database of Christmas recipes, many of which get submitted by our users from around the world.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,094
Threads: 53,939
Top Poster: xmas365 (166,013)
Welcome to our newest member, RMcGuigan

Old 11-05-2012, 02:32 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,242 Times in 495 Posts
GingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
When do turkeys go on sale?

I thought maybe we could use a thread to post when turkeys go on sale in our areas. I know my grocery store (Kroger) just got turkeys last week and they weren't on sale the last time I checked.

Anyone know when turkeys go on sale or want to post up when the different chains put them on sale? I was thinking like Kroger or Wal-mart or Target super stores.
Holiday (11-05-2012)

Old 11-05-2012, 04:05 PM
Christmas dreaming...

Last Achievements

Thanked 75,242 Times in 15,029 Posts
xmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I believe most places will start promoting their sales this week.

Turkey tip: Make sure that the turkey you buy is Grade A, if it is it shouldn't matter if it a store brand or a Butterball, I know some people swear by the Butterball, but there is not much difference between the expensive bird and the cheap bird as long as they are Grade A. This is what I have been taught and I have never noticed much of a difference in taste.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:24 AM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

GingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
I always buy a really cheap one but I brine it and cook it well. No one can ever tell. I am probably getting a Grade A one, like you say.
xmas365 (11-06-2012)
Old 11-12-2012, 02:08 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

I checked this weekend when I was at Kroger and the Kroger-brand turkeys were $0.69/pound. I think that's pretty cheap, right? Anyone seen any cheaper?

I've got this 20% off coupon at Kroger that I'm dying to use before it expires. It may be turkey time.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:10 PM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,972 Times in 2,435 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
that's pretty good. The cheapest I've seen here are $0.87 per pound.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Westover For This Useful Post:
xmas365 (11-12-2012)
Old 11-12-2012, 02:11 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

That's what I thought! Ok, so I'm not just itching to buy one then. hah hah.

I think I'll run by and get one and use my coupon too!

Thanks Jeff.
made582 (11-12-2012), xmas365 (11-12-2012)
Old 11-12-2012, 02:32 PM
MMC's Ambassador to the North Pole

Last Achievements

Thanked 161,337 Times in 30,667 Posts
made582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by GingerMel View Post
I checked this weekend when I was at Kroger and the Kroger-brand turkeys were $0.69/pound. I think that's pretty cheap, right? Anyone seen any cheaper?

I've got this 20% off coupon at Kroger that I'm dying to use before it expires. It may be turkey time.

The cheapest I've seen is $0.77 a pound so far at Meijer. Our Kroger is $0.88 a pound.

Only in the agony of parting do we look into the depths of love. ~George Eliot
Don't forget to listen to the Greasy Skillet Saturday nights 8 to 10pm EST
Leader of the get Steven Colbert to keep Lovemas tradition movement!!!
Stay Safe and Hurry Back Dawg!!!!
Old 11-12-2012, 06:12 PM
Christmas dreaming...

Last Achievements

Thanked 75,242 Times in 15,029 Posts
xmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
In my store I got management to go to $0.59lb, matching Stop & Shop, I was aiming for $0.49lb to match Hannaford but that is as low as they would let me go. I bought myself a 14.5lb turkey for $8.45
Old 11-12-2012, 06:31 PM
Emerging from the Cave
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,123 Times in 693 Posts
Courtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happy
Yep, Meijer seems to be the cheapest right now.
With $20 purchase:
$10 off 10-15lb
$17 off 16lbs+

Ex: w/ $20 purchase
10lb = .49
12lb = .66
17lb = .49
20lb = .64

Old 11-13-2012, 08:34 AM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Wow...that's really cheap. But once you get around 12 lb, it's about the same as Kroger apparently?

I'll take a 17lb turkey for $0.49/lb any day of the week!