Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Archives > Hall of Fame » Christmas Countdown - 2013

Hall of Fame Over the years we have had many memorable discussions and events. Archived here are closed discussions we like to look back on from Christmas past.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,432
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,657)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Christmas Defined
By MMC Editor
05-01-2002 10:19 PM
Last post by JeanetteDi
09-20-2011 08:20 AM
59,106 Views  1 Posts
It's the Gift, Not the...
By MMC Editor
05-31-2002 09:38 PM
36,302 Views  0 Posts
Clement Clarke Moore:...
By MMC Editor
05-30-2002 02:58 PM
Last post by Jeff Westover
12-19-2011 11:09 AM
61,638 Views  2 Posts
Anna Claus
By MMC Editor
06-09-2002 08:15 PM
76,242 Views  0 Posts
Mistletoe Christmas in America...
By MMC Editor
10-23-2012 03:40 PM
33,998 Views  0 Posts

Old 03-27-2013, 12:29 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 36,269 Times in 5,590 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by Christmas-A-Holic View Post
I don't want to be connected 24/7 either. It's just a "me thing", works out for some but not for me. When I am on the run my focus is on who I am with and what I am doing.

The only advantage for us to get an iPhone, at the moment, is for traveling. If we need some type of information on the road, we can look it up and it will be nice to also have online access to upload coupons to scan at certain locations. This has been frustrating on the run. Here in town we would have to go home to print out a coupon then head back out, now we can just upload it on the spot to use it right then and there. Most businesses seem to be going this route, along with paper coupons, (not a real big deal but what a nice convenience to have that on us!) We also want this for the camera/video purpose to store what we want while traveling. On a road trip - laptop, camera and old phone works perfect. When flying, going by train or ship, I want to travel very lightly without a lot to drag around, I am a "one suitcase" type person when traveling this way. It is convenient to have a "3 in 1" type device. It's just something we are looking into at the moment and the timing seems about right since Wayne and I travel a few times a year. I will still take the laptop on road trips (over pack on road trips ) but cannot connect until I am somewhere. The iPhone (or something similar) will be helpful when we can't stop somewhere to access internet. As far as being connected 24/7, I agree with you, just not my interest at the moment. Information purposes while traveling, hotel, restaurants, and more will be very handy and we wish we would have had that on our last couple of vacations.

You can tell I have been really thinking this over! I hate to jump into something without making sure I have a use for it. I have not wanted any of this until our last few vacations when we had a need for it. We are still taking our time to decide on it.
Excellent food for thought! Thanks for sharing your reasoning.
When we're on vacation this year, and in everyday life, I'm going to take note of times I would like to have had an iPhone. If enough of those arise to make the extra monthly cost worthwhile, I'll join the 21st century. Meanwhile, when traveling I can get info in the hotel or at the airport via iPad (provided there's Wi-Fi). I can see where it would be easier to whip out an iPhone and get the same info anywhere, without regard to Wi-Fi and without the extra bulk.

BTW, you must teach me how to pack light ... I always wind up with one huge checked suitcase and a well-stocked carry-on ...

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (03-27-2013), Christmas-A-Holic (03-27-2013), Christmasstar (03-27-2013), Seawaters (03-28-2013), snowflake22 (03-27-2013), Solice (03-27-2013), xmas365 (03-27-2013)
Old 03-27-2013, 12:32 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Oh yeah! Something else to add about the need of an iPhone. You would not believe how many times Wayne and I are out and desperate for some information about what we are doing or where we are going. We would call my son or daughter to look up something online for us (this has been going on for years). We have done that while driving around town and even while we have traveled! At least we saved money on data by using them as our "data".

There's another reason to upgrade! They are not always available to go online for us.

I am trying to validate my reasons for doing this. I still don't want to have a higher monthly phone bill!!! (Now I am talking myself out of it again).
No, don't talk yourself out of it! I can see that you're going to LOVE having an iPhone on a trip! P.S. Post photos when you go someplace! That'll make it worthwhile!

caninemom3 (03-27-2013), Christmas-A-Holic (03-27-2013), Christmasstar (03-27-2013), Seawaters (03-28-2013), snowflake22 (03-27-2013), Solice (03-27-2013), xmas365 (03-27-2013)
Old 03-27-2013, 12:36 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who doesn't have a smart phone. Here's how outdated my cell is: my grandma made fun of it. Yep, that's right. We were at a family event and I wanted to know the score of a game. My grandma said, "Just look it up on your phone." I showed her my phone and told her I couldn't and she actually chuckled as she handed me hers and said, "Oh honey, here, just use mine."

That's pretty bad when your own grandma "out techs" you.
You win! I just got laughed at by co-workers at the office.
Mr. and I got ours at about the same time---both freebies with the phone contract---and I'm pretty sure mine goes back to about 2005. But it's functional. We haven't needed anything flashier so far.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (03-27-2013), Christmasstar (03-27-2013), HomemakinGirl (03-27-2013), Ryan (03-27-2013), Seawaters (03-28-2013), snowflake22 (03-27-2013), Solice (03-27-2013), whitney37354 (04-01-2013), xmas365 (03-27-2013)
Old 03-27-2013, 12:37 PM
Leader of the Heavenly Host

Last Achievements

Thanked 76,150 Times in 12,623 Posts
Christmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by caninemom3 View Post
So glad you will be done with Subway...!!!
oh, me too! Going to get one last 1/2 price sub tonight for supper, or to take home if I am not to hungry.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Christmasstar For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (03-27-2013), HomemakinGirl (03-27-2013), Seawaters (03-28-2013), snowflake22 (03-27-2013), Solice (03-27-2013), xmas365 (03-27-2013)
Old 03-27-2013, 12:38 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Originally Posted by HomemakinGirl View Post
Coffee break time, having a caramel macchiato. Yum. Hope everyone is having a great afternoon so far!
Hm ... I still have a few bags of Creme Caramel tea here at the office ... maybe that's what I'll have for a pick-me-up this afternoon.

caninemom3 (03-27-2013), Christmasstar (03-27-2013), HomemakinGirl (03-27-2013), Seawaters (03-28-2013), snowflake22 (03-27-2013), Solice (03-27-2013), xmas365 (03-27-2013)
Old 03-27-2013, 12:53 PM
Santa Clausologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,803 Times in 264 Posts
frostythesnowman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostythesnowman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostythesnowman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostythesnowman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostythesnowman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostythesnowman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostythesnowman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostythesnowman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostythesnowman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostythesnowman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostythesnowman would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
good evening everyone...just made some pancakes..anyone for pancakes!!!!
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to frostythesnowman For This Useful Post:
Bradmac (03-27-2013), caninemom3 (03-27-2013), Christmasstar (03-27-2013), HomemakinGirl (03-27-2013), Ryan (03-27-2013), Seawaters (03-28-2013), snowflake22 (03-27-2013), Solice (03-27-2013), xmas365 (03-27-2013)
Old 03-27-2013, 12:54 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 49,369 Times in 9,026 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by MerryCarey View Post
BTW, you must teach me how to pack light ... I always wind up with one huge checked suitcase and a well-stocked carry-on ...
Car trips we pack whatever and a lot since there is plenty of storage and have a couple of coolers full of food on top of that.

When I travel any other way it's all carry on luggage. You should have seen it when I use to travel by train for a 10 day vacation for myself and my 2 kids. I packed for the 3 of us in 2 carry on suitcases. I also hate to check in luggage. The whole key to making it work, make sure you check into a hotel with self laundry facilities. We find one day and only takes a little over an hour of our time to do laundry and you got clean clothes for the rest of the vacation. Basic clothes and shoes to mix and match where it doesn't appear you are wearing the same thing all the time.

I have been doing that for over 20 years because the first time I flew to Vegas I over packed and was miserable lugging all that luggage around. I was hurting all over and back went out! I learned right then and there and never again! =)

You should be listening to the Greasy Skillet Show with our very own RadioJonD every Saturday from 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm central time! Be sure to join the group on Facebook to chat during showtime!

Listen to Kringle Radio for your Christmas music fix! Come on by, we are open 24/7 - 365 days a year!

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Christmas-A-Holic For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (03-27-2013), Christmasstar (03-27-2013), made582 (03-27-2013), MerryCarey (03-27-2013), Seawaters (03-28-2013), snowflake22 (03-27-2013), Solice (03-27-2013), xmas365 (03-27-2013)
Old 03-27-2013, 01:11 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Car trips we pack whatever and a lot since there is plenty of storage and have a couple of coolers full of food on top of that.

When I travel any other way it's all carry on luggage. You should have seen it when I use to travel by train for a 10 day vacation for myself and my 2 kids. I packed for the 3 of us in 2 carry on suitcases. I also hate to check in luggage. The whole key to making it work, make sure you check into a hotel with self laundry facilities. We find one day and only takes a little over an hour of our time to do laundry and you got clean clothes for the rest of the vacation. Basic clothes and shoes to mix and match where it doesn't appear you are wearing the same thing all the time.

I have been doing that for over 20 years because the first time I flew to Vegas I over packed and was miserable lugging all that luggage around. I was hurting all over and back went out! I learned right then and there and never again! =)
Thanks again---you are full of good advice! (I'm full of something else. )

caninemom3 (03-27-2013), Christmas-A-Holic (03-27-2013), Christmasstar (03-27-2013), made582 (03-27-2013), Seawaters (03-28-2013), Solice (03-27-2013), xmas365 (03-27-2013)
Old 03-27-2013, 01:15 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 49,369 Times in 9,026 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by MerryCarey View Post
Thanks again---you are full of good advice! (I'm full of something else. )
You're full of vintage film and knitting advice! Nothing wrong with that!

One of these days I plan to take up knitting and you will hear from me with questions! =)

You should be listening to the Greasy Skillet Show with our very own RadioJonD every Saturday from 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm central time! Be sure to join the group on Facebook to chat during showtime!

Listen to Kringle Radio for your Christmas music fix! Come on by, we are open 24/7 - 365 days a year!

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Christmas-A-Holic For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (03-27-2013), Christmasstar (03-27-2013), made582 (03-27-2013), MerryCarey (03-27-2013), Ryan (03-27-2013), Seawaters (03-28-2013), snowflake22 (03-27-2013), Solice (03-27-2013), whitney37354 (04-01-2013), xmas365 (03-27-2013)
Old 03-27-2013, 01:52 PM
MMC's Ambassador to the North Pole

Last Achievements

Thanked 144,040 Times in 26,500 Posts
made582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Star- Enjoy your last night at Subway!!!

Only in the agony of parting do we look into the depths of love. ~George Eliot
Don't forget to listen to the Greasy Skillet Saturday nights 8 to 10pm EST
Leader of the get Steven Colbert to keep Lovemas tradition movement!!!
Stay Safe and Hurry Back Dawg!!!!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to made582 For This Useful Post:
Bradmac (03-27-2013), caninemom3 (03-27-2013), Christmasstar (03-27-2013), HomemakinGirl (03-27-2013), Ryan (03-27-2013), Seawaters (03-28-2013), snowflake22 (03-27-2013), xmas365 (03-27-2013)