Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Hands-On > Christmas Decorations » Do you leave your lights on all night?

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Decorations Christmas is a hands-on art. From the lights we put on the house to the decorations we put on the tree to the great foods we eat in the process, Christmas is a time of doing -- and this is the place we gather to talk, plan and share.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,095
Threads: 53,960
Top Poster: xmas365 (166,329)
Welcome to our newest member, Xmas1986

Old 12-01-2009, 05:54 AM
Merry Forums Chestnut Roaster
Last Achievements

DayTek has shown a merry dispositionDayTek has shown a merry dispositionDayTek has shown a merry disposition
Do you leave your lights on all night?

I went to a movie this past Friday and did not get home until 1 AM. As we drove home, I noticed quite a few people still had their outdoor Christmas lights on. I thought this was odd, but just thought maybe their timers hadn't turned them off yet or something.

Well I babysat the next night on Saturday. When the couple woke me up I took a cab home at 3 AM and again I noticed more Christmas lights on then I would have expected at that time.

I'm no night owl, so I've never noticed this before because I'm not usually out at those times. We have a timer on our lights and they turn off around midnight.

But it actually got me wondering if some people turn them on and leave them on all night! I could see doing this on Christmas Eve/Day and maybe New Years, but I personally wouldn't want the hydro bill leaving them on all night...LOL.

I'm not judging just wondering what time you turn your Christmas lights on and off during the season? That includes the tree.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:08 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class

frostrabbit has shown a merry disposition
My lights are turned on when I'm up in the morning and they stay on for most of the day until we go to bed. I don't like leaving lights on when I'm not around though so they're always turned off whenever I leave the apartment. The lights for our Christmas tree are LED so I'm not too worried about bills because they use up a lot less energy than non-LED (at least that's what my husband tells me!)
Old 12-01-2009, 06:26 AM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger

Location: Mersea Island, UK - Moving to Vancouver, Canada 2012
singingringingtree is a good elfsingingringingtree is a good elfsingingringingtree is a good elfsingingringingtree is a good elfsingingringingtree is a good elfsingingringingtree is a good elfsingingringingtree is a good elfsingingringingtree is a good elfsingingringingtree is a good elfsingingringingtree is a good elf
Christmas tree lights and inside lights go on when were are at home and we turn them off when we go out or go to bed. Outside lights go on by timer at 4pm and off again at around 11pm.
The Following User Says Thank You to singingringingtree For This Useful Post:
mike24forever (04-06-2013)
Old 12-01-2009, 06:28 AM
Magi

Last Achievements

Thanked 52,896 Times in 9,594 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
My outdoor Christmas lights are plugged into a sensor that come on at dusk and go off at dawn so they are on all night. I turn my indoor Christmas lights off when I go to bed. My electric bill is at it's lowest this time of year since we do not have a bitter cold winter so heat is not ran that often. Even with lights on all night my electric is very affordable. I notice most people around here have their outdoor lights on all night.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:02 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,510 Times in 920 Posts
Minta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the tree
Our outdoor lights are on a timer. They go on at 5 and shut of around 10.

The inside lights get turned off when we go to bed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minta For This Useful Post:
ballcoach (03-31-2013)
Old 12-01-2009, 08:25 AM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,188 Times in 365 Posts
frostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
light

The only night our lights stay on all night is Christmas Eve.
The Following User Says Thank You to frostyman For This Useful Post:
mike24forever (04-06-2013)
Old 12-01-2009, 08:33 AM
Dang Near Santa Himself
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,061 Times in 612 Posts
joyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happy
Christmas Eve and Christmas Day our lights are on all night and day. The rest of the time the lights are on a timer.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:34 AM
Merry Forums Mistletoe Hanger

radiant star has shown a merry disposition
Our lights are on a timer. They turn on around dusk and turn off sometime around dawn.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:00 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class
Last Achievements

usafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
As many others have posted on here, my lights are on a timer w/ light sensor. They usually come on when it is dusk (usually between 5:30pm - 6pm) and stay on for 6 hours before turning off (between 11:30 to midnight).

However, every Christmas Eve and Christmas day I leave them on all day and night. I do that again on New Years eve so I can enjoy them one last time. They usually come down in the first week of January. My home owner's association is pretty strict about that.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:03 AM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

ChristmasFanatic56 has shown a merry dispositionChristmasFanatic56 has shown a merry dispositionChristmasFanatic56 has shown a merry dispositionChristmasFanatic56 has shown a merry disposition
Indoor - When someone is awake - THEYRE ON!

Outdoor - My lightshow runs from 5PM til 11PM