Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Media > Music » Darker Christmas/Winter music

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Music Scripture doesn't say it be we know those angels were singing at the manger. And music has been the heart of Christmas ever since.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,094
Threads: 53,940
Top Poster: xmas365 (166,079)
Welcome to our newest member, RMcGuigan

Old 10-08-2013, 07:47 PM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 21,520 Times in 2,974 Posts
Ryan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by MerryCarey View Post
Gosh, I almost forgot "Pretty Paper" by Roy Orbison!
"Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" is awfully melancholy, too, especially the original movie lyrics. (And THOSE were rewritten to make them less bleak!)
I was thinking the same thing....

"Through the years we all will be together, if the fates allow. Until then, we'll have to muddle through some how."

Something along those lines if I'm not mistaken.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ryan For This Useful Post:
MerryCarey (10-08-2013), snowflake22 (10-08-2013)

Old 10-09-2013, 04:57 PM
Santa Clausologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,024 Times in 175 Posts
Anne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elf
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I was thinking the same thing....

"Through the years we all will be together, if the fates allow. Until then, we'll have to muddle through some how."

Something along those lines if I'm not mistaken.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
And the original lyrics were "Have yourself a merry little Christmas, it may be your last/next year we may all be living in the past". The story is that Judy Garland balked at singing that, and who can blame her? I've heard a few versions that don't use the "muddle through" line, but I like it--it was very effective in James Taylor's version, which came out in 2001, after 9/11, and fit how I felt at the time...... (Come to think of it, "We need a little Christmas", from the musical Mame, is sort of dark too, if you know what's going on at that point in the musical. Huh, better add that to my list, too.)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anne_Langston For This Useful Post:
MerryCarey (10-09-2013), Ryan (10-09-2013), snowflake22 (07-21-2014)
Old 11-18-2013, 10:51 PM
Merry Forums Chestnut Roaster
Last Achievements

Geoff5 has shown a merry disposition
"PInk Christmas" is featured in this month's Merry Podcast #32!

Originally Posted by Anne_Langston View Post
Okay, this may sound a little strange, but I'm trying to find songs about what I guess would be the sadder aspects of the holiday season, or about winter in general for a project I want to do. For instance, songs like "If we make it through December", "Wish I had a River", "Blue Christmas", even "I am a Rock". Any suggestions? (I'm avoiding "The Christmas Shoes", as I really hate that song. Any other suggestions will be gladly listened to.)
Hello Anne,

Give "Pink Christmas" a listen by clicking the link below. It may fit your project...

Thanks Geoff
Anne_Langston (Yesterday), snowflake22 (07-21-2014)
Old 12-01-2013, 07:02 PM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,251 Times in 2,295 Posts
RadioJonD has disabled reputation
This one even has a Halloween feel!

Johnny Cash - The Cremation of Sam McGee (a poem written in 1907 by Robert W. Service)

Johnny Horton did a version set to music as well.

(I hope you don't mind, Anne, that we keep this thread going even way past your project needs!)

Last edited by RadioJonD; 12-01-2013 at 07:04 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RadioJonD For This Useful Post:
Anne_Langston (07-23-2014), snowflake22 (07-21-2014)
Old 07-21-2014, 05:13 PM
Santa Clausologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,024 Times in 175 Posts
Anne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elf
Originally Posted by RadioJonD View Post
This one even has a Halloween feel!

(I hope you don't mind, Anne, that we keep this thread going even way past your project needs!)
No, I'm glad to add songs to the list, even if I'm not using them now!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anne_Langston For This Useful Post:
RadioJonD (07-21-2014), snowflake22 (07-21-2014)
Old 07-22-2014, 12:23 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 5,842 Times in 3,870 Posts
George Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the Wisemen
In that case...