Beads in the Trees (Decorations)

rodmonster

Santa's Personal Trainer
MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Jul 27, 2008
Va
Share your decorating ideas or questions here for Mardi Gras.
I will update as the season nears with some of our traditions and others you may want to try.

Reactions: 1 person

SparkleNana

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
May 19, 2008
Rodmonster -

What if you don't have a group of people who already know about Mardi Gras - and love it? What if it is just you - giving a party for people who have no clue? Is it too overwhelming?

rodmonster

Santa's Personal Trainer
MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Jul 27, 2008
Va
Nope

Not really,
You can buy most everything in sets online.
They even have history added to certain party packages - so everyone can understand what they are doing and eating.
Let me know if you ant some basic party ideas or decorations.
=)

SparkleNana

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
May 19, 2008
Rod - How long does the Mardi Gras "season" last? I am thinking three weeks. And when is the final day/ I think the final day is right before the beginning of Lent. And -- I think Lent is the 6 weeks before Easter?

There is celebrating all during Mardi Gras in New Orleans, isn't there?

And - what about King Cake? Is that eaten at every party? Or does each family give one "big" party? How does it work?

rodmonster

Santa's Personal Trainer
MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Jul 27, 2008
Va
Answers

Mardi Gras can occur as early as Feb. 3 and as late as March 9. Mardi Gras really kicks into high gear the last two weeks. The height of the party - including the most famous parades and other activities - is the last long five-day weekend, from Friday through Fat Tuesday. For 2009, this means Feb. 20-24. The weekend before that also offers a packed selection of parades. But parades in New Orleans, and the surrounding areas does go on for weeks before hand.

Pretty much. The city does not shut down or anything, but there are parades in the afternoon and night, balls to attend, and parties to go to.

And depends on family or group of folks. Most parties and balls will have them as a desert. We tend to buy a few a year during that time and invite friends over to enjoy with us. Just remember - whoever gets the baby in a piece has to buy the next one!

Rod - How long does the Mardi Gras "season" last? I am thinking three weeks. And when is the final day/ I think the final day is right before the beginning of Lent. And -- I think Lent is the 6 weeks before Easter?

There is celebrating all during Mardi Gras in New Orleans, isn't there?

And - what about King Cake? Is that eaten at every party? Or does each family give one "big" party? How does it work?

rodmonster

Santa's Personal Trainer
MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Jul 27, 2008
Va
Let me know if you need some good things to make sure you have for the party.
=0

rodmonster

Santa's Personal Trainer
MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Jul 27, 2008
Va
Beads in Trees...

You see these along any parade route... but they are fun to do in your own yard if you plan to have a part.
I have done quite a few in my yard in the past.

Christmasstar

one Crazy Canadian !
MMC Lifer
Nov 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada eh!
I have never done anything with mardi gras, to far north I guess. Sounds like it is a fun time, love reading about it here.
Perked my interest, I am going to look up some more about this event.l
Thanks

rodmonster

Santa's Personal Trainer
MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Jul 27, 2008
Va
=)

Always fun to see and fun to do!

Christmas Activities