Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Different Christmas Things You Do That Others Don't

Discussion in 'Christmas Decorations' started by Adam, Jul 4, 2010.

1. trackrebel

trackrebel candy cane hustla MMC Lifer

christmas eve is usually the same with us every year.....we drive over to my mother´s to go to church from there....then we went to my grandparents opening presents and then to our place to have Wieners and Potato Salad and then opening presents...not sure how it will be this year after my Opa (grandpa) passed away this January and my uncle almost never comes over to even say hello to grandma....even tho he lives in the house behind hers....

anyhow...Christmas Day is often spent at hour place with me cooking along with dad...or we go to my brother´s place...it always varies...there we usually do the regular stuff....watching christmas movies sometimes, listening to Christmas music, playing with the kids and just talk and joke and kid around...nothing unusual.......on Christmas 2009 tho.....the 2nd Christmas Day, Dec 26th we decided to go Germany´s best amusement Park......the Europa Park.....it was just fabulous...everything decorated......even the roller coasters and the haunted house was christmassy....a Christmas Parade, we watched a Charles Dickens Christmas story in the Globe theater....built after that Shakespear thing in England.....only to come out of it in the dark and being overwhelmed by looking at all the lights....perfect.....if I could I would make this my Christmas tradition!!!

2. novelist

novelist Mistletoeologist MMC Lifer

:roll:My husband and I open one small gift on Thanksgiving. it's our way of starting off the holiday season. I think it's a cute idea, but when I tell people, they look at me like I'm crazy!

3. Leighlansmummyx

Leighlansmummyx Tinsel Straightener MMC Member

In my family we just visit close family, watch lots of christmas films with a hot chocolate on the sofa with the yankee candles lit :) we usually cook gammon on christmas eve & have for supper. this year will be my little boys 3rd christmas so its quite special because he should understand a bit more this year ... x

Holiday and 'Tis the season like this.
  4. irishsnow

irishsnow Dang Near Santa Himself MMC Lifer

Every Christmas Eve I light a candle in the window to welcome the baby Jesus into the world

:%

Holiday and 'Tis the season like this.
  5. sublimesting

sublimesting Twinkle Light Checker MMC Member

I inexplicably read Rip Van Winkle every Christmas Eve. I don't know why but I've been doing it every Christmas Eve since I was 8. I'm 37 now.

6. nachtmusik

nachtmusik Christmas Fan MMC Member

Our house is painted white and there are pillars holding up the roof over the porch. Every year for as long as I can remember, we've wrapped this red plastic ribbon-ish stuff around the pillars to make them look like candy canes.

Other than that, though, we're pretty typical. We swap the standard Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners around, though, and cook a ham on Thanksgiving and a turkey on Christmas. This is because my grandma always has celebrations for both holidays at her house, so this way we're less likely to get horribly sick of Thanksgiving turkey and Christmas ham.

Holiday and Neotericisis like this.
  7. joyful

joyful Mrs. Claus' Executive Assistant MMC Lifer

I started doing Christmas Eve dinner back in the late 1970's when my kids were little. I realized that Christmas Day usually had me in the kitchen and hubby was with the kids in the living room enjoying their day with them. So I started doing Christmas Eve dinner and still have it on Christmas Eve only now the kids come with their families to enjoy with us.
    It gives the kids something to pass the time on Christmas Eve when anticipation is running high and also we are together.
    Everyone dresses up like we are going out and we give each other our best. I set a grand table lit with plenty of candles. Before we eat my husbands offers up a prayer of thanksgiving and love for God.
    Then Christmas Day, I don't have to work in the kitchen. I can enjoy the day.

I'm so glad I started this tradition, my Mother always did her dinner on Christmas Day but she liked my Christmas Eve dinners and my Dad and Mom were always overnight guest on Christmas Eve. A tradition that has stopped but they will always be with us in our hearts.
    :sparkle:

Holiday and Neotericisis like this.
  8. angelpugs

angelpugs Sugar Cookie Tester Christmas Crew MMC Lifer Christmas Talk Alum

My tradition is simple but,country i guess,we have our woodstove going which in new england those are a must,and i have my grandmothers hot chocolate recipe going on it,we watch White Christmas and have things like cheese and crackers and of course my own homemade confections.It just being a few of us we unwrap one gift and we exchange christmas cards,as i always have things out like mixed nuts,fruit,also some of my homemade breads sliced up and cookies.We just munch through as we girls prep things for our christmas dinner which is a ham,sweet potato's,white potato's,deviled eggs,homemade biscuits,two vegetables of choice,applesauce,pickles.Usually though before dark we'll go out sledding and building the snowman just enjoying the snow then inside for grandma's hot chocolate and enjoying that time together.-tree-

Holiday likes this.
  9. MerryCarey

MerryCarey A Voice from the North Christmas Crew MMC Lifer Knights in the Service of Santa MMC Donor Louann Jeffries Award

Mr. and I are probably the only ones who screen 16mm Christmas films during the holiday season, including a few reels that we save especially for Christmas Eve every year. Some of the films we have aren't available on video, and some of them look even more stunning than the DVD. It's a real treat to see those each year!

Holiday likes this.