Easter and "The Ten Commandments"

KWasser

Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class
MMC Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
Every year, I love watching the Charlie Brown holiday specials in October, November, and December. Also, the Grinch and other Christmas specials as well.

But I've come to realize, there are other holidays where classics get broadcast year after year: Every year, for some time now (not sure how long), during Easter weekend, ABC network airs "The Ten Commandments", and I have to say, I've found myself tuning in every year for the last couple of years!

It's become a holiday tradition for me, just as much as tuning in to "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!"! I purposefully look up on TV guide to see when it's airing.

Who else here makes sure to watch (at least a portion) of "The Ten Commandments" every single year? Or remembers seeing it on TV when flipping channels on Easter weekend?

And are there any other holidays (besides the big ones in October/November/December) that have classic animated or live-action specials or movies that air every year?

Reactions: CGYager and Holiday

RachRon

Elf Supervisor
MMC Lifer
Aug 23, 2010
Massachusetts
My family has for the last few years been watching the Bible series on Easter.getting them to watch a religious program is usually a chore but they all really like and look forward to this every year.

ballcoach

Christmasologist
MMC Lifer
Jan 1, 2017
Me, me, me! It has long been a tradition of mine...it is a classic that we schedule or weekend around just like we do some of our Christmas shows.

CGYager

Santa's Helper in South Dakota
MMC Emeritus Member
Nov 3, 2014
Sioux Falls, SD
I grew up with all these too. And remembering the days before VHS & DVD. We had to catch them when they aired or wait another year (or longer) before enjoying them again. Now, working nights, many of the TV shows come on when I am either sleeping, preparing for or being at work. However, over the years, I have (like many) purchased quite a few DVDs for the holidays. A portion of them are biblical based and I watch them over and over on those special days of the year. They include...
The Ten Commandments (original)
Jesus of Nazareth (mini-series)
Jesus
King of Kings
Joseph & His Brethren
The Bible... In the Beginning
also Ben-Hur & St. Patrick: The Irish Legend
Even with a nice memory and in many cases knowing what will come up and/or be said before it happens, I still enjoy them every time.
There is just something about traditions that can be so warm and comforting. They take us back to simpler or better days and can cover us like a favorite blanket when times seem a bit rough.

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image