Christmasplease

Fruit Cake Baker
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Santa's Elf
Christmas Talk Alum
Aug 9, 2015
Canada
Awesome! Ive read all of Dickens' novels, a few short stories, and lots of biographies and other books about him and his writing. My wife says I might have an obsession, lol... but I love his writing. I have read A Christmas Carol maybe like 20 times? I lost count. :)
What did you think of “The Man Who Invented Christmas”?

Bradmac

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year!
MMC Lifer
Nov 7, 2008
Bellville, GA
Hi everyone, my name is Art and I love Christmas... it's nice to be among like minded people. I love Christmas enough where I listen to the music throughout the year, and I never think it's too early to go see Christmas aisles at my local Hobby Lobby. My wife doesn't necessarily share my passion quite as much - for instance she thinks I need to wait until after Thanksgiving to decorate, and she wants the decorations down as soon as possible. So sometimes we have mild disagreements, LOL... oh well, I can celebrate on the inside, right? :-D This looks like a fun site, can't wait to explore it!
Welcome to MMC, Art! You're among friends, for sure! ;)

::welcome

snowflake22

*Harlowe's Mom*
MMC Lifer
Louann Jeffries Award
Jul 10, 2011
Wisconsin
I love just about any version, but my favorites are the 1951 Alastair Sims version, and The Muppet Christmas Carol is great fun. When I was a kid I loved the Mickey's Christmas Carol.

The last couple of years I've been able to catch Gerald Dickens (Charles' Great Great Grandson) do a one man show of A Christmas Carol. He does a tour in the US during the Thanksgiving and Christmas season. It's really wonderful, he is a great actor, and I feel like I have brushed history. If you ever get a chance to see him - do it!
That would be amazing to see! Thanks for the recommendation!

Reactions: Art the Bookworm

Art the Bookworm

Snowman Engineer
MMC Member
MMC Partner
Sep 5, 2018
Iowa
cozychristmas.libsyn.com
What did you think of “The Man Who Invented Christmas”?

I only saw it once in the theater, so I need to see it again - but from what I can remember, I really liked it! I left the theater thinking that it was one of the best Christmas Carol adaptations I had ever seen, :-D. As is usually the case, it wasn't always historically accurate - but they were trying to tell a story, and they certainly succeeded at that. I love Dan Stevens as Dickens, and I love the idea of his characters pestering him as he tries to write. I have friends who are writers and they assure me that those scenes are a pretty accurate way of illustrating what it's like for an author as he wrestles with his characters.

For me one of the most moving scenes (spoilers for those who haven't seen it) is the flashback when Dickens' dad is taken to prison - all the family is in the cart being taken away while Dickens is left standing there crying. My wife asked me if that's how it actually happened, and I said probably not, but I thought it does accurately show what he felt like when his father was arrested. It's so good! There were lots of moments like that in the movie - moments that helped illustrate what was going on in his life and how he felt about certain things in his life. Now that I think about it, I could probably write a lot about that movie, LOL! And now I want to see it again. :)

Reactions: snowflake22

Christmasplease

Fruit Cake Baker
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Santa's Elf
Christmas Talk Alum
Aug 9, 2015
Canada
I only saw it once in the theater, so I need to see it again - but from what I can remember, I really liked it! I left the theater thinking that it was one of the best Christmas Carol adaptations I had ever seen, :-D. As is usually the case, it wasn't always historically accurate - but they were trying to tell a story, and they certainly succeeded at that. I love Dan Stevens as Dickens, and I love the idea of his characters pestering him as he tries to write. I have friends who are writers and they assure me that those scenes are a pretty accurate way of illustrating what it's like for an author as he wrestles with his characters.

For me one of the most moving scenes (spoilers for those who haven't seen it) is the flashback when Dickens' dad is taken to prison - all the family is in the cart being taken away while Dickens is left standing there crying. My wife asked me if that's how it actually happened, and I said probably not, but I thought it does accurately show what he felt like when his father was arrested. It's so good! There were lots of moments like that in the movie - moments that helped illustrate what was going on in his life and how he felt about certain things in his life. Now that I think about it, I could probably write a lot about that movie, LOL! And now I want to see it again. :)
Cool! I learned a lot about him from that movie.

Art the Bookworm

Snowman Engineer
MMC Member
MMC Partner
Sep 5, 2018
Iowa
cozychristmas.libsyn.com
Hello Art. I just wanted to say welcome. I am new to the forum too! I think we are going to like it here.

Hi Kelly! This site is pretty amazing. I heard about a few christmas podcasts on The Christmas Stocking podcast, so I checked them out, and now I'm in full on Christmas mode, LOL... Maybe not, but I do love having a place I can go to chat about Christmas whenever Im in the mood, without getting looks of judgment, disbelief or agony. So do you have any favorite Christmas traditions?
-sing-

Reactions: Christmasplease

Puternut

Tinsel Straightener
MMC Member
May 2, 2013
Hi Art,
Welcome we love Christmas so much so we start the day after Halloween, but then it takes the month of Nov. to get our massive display up both outside and in. We pray for cooler weather since it's difficult to work in 90 degrees. (Florida)

Art the Bookworm

Snowman Engineer
MMC Member
MMC Partner
Sep 5, 2018
Iowa
cozychristmas.libsyn.com
Hi Art,
Welcome we love Christmas so much so we start the day after Halloween, but then it takes the month of Nov. to get our massive display up both outside and in. We pray for cooler weather since it's difficult to work in 90 degrees. (Florida)

I see Halloween as kind of the start of the Holiday season, so on Nov. 1 I can start listening to Christmas music - out loud anyway, I'm already listening to a little bit in my ear phones already, lol. We decorate for fall around that time. Then there are a few Christmasy activities going around our towns a week or so before Thanksgiving and we try to get to those. Then after Thanksgiving, it's Full On Christmas Mode. We get the tree up Thanksgiving weekend usually.

We have so many fun things planned for the month of December too. It's usually crazy but we have lots of fun! These are my 4 favorite months of the year.

snowflake22

*Harlowe's Mom*
MMC Lifer
Louann Jeffries Award
Jul 10, 2011
Wisconsin
Hello Art. I just wanted to say welcome. I am new to the forum too! I think we are going to like it here.
Hello & Welcome to MMC, KellyKringle!!
:tree:

Christmasplease

Fruit Cake Baker
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Santa's Elf
Christmas Talk Alum
Aug 9, 2015
Canada
I see Halloween as kind of the start of the Holiday season, so on Nov. 1 I can start listening to Christmas music - out loud anyway, I'm already listening to a little bit in my ear phones already, lol. We decorate for fall around that time. Then there are a few Christmasy activities going around our towns a week or so before Thanksgiving and we try to get to those. Then after Thanksgiving, it's Full On Christmas Mode. We get the tree up Thanksgiving weekend usually.

We have so many fun things planned for the month of December too. It's usually crazy but we have lots of fun! These are my 4 favorite months of the year.
I hear you about listening to Christmas music out loud. My kids hear it any other time and they roll their eyes! Our Thanksgiving is in October so I usually start putting lights up outside right after that. I don’t turn the lights on, just want them up before the bitter cold sets in.

FrostyKnowsBest

Reindeer Rocketeer
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Oct 5, 2015
Michigan
www.mixcloud.com
Welcome Art! I too engage in the decorations too soon/they need to come down battles lol. I have been slowly, sneakily converting our basement into a Christmas Cave. I may just pull it off!

Art the Bookworm

Snowman Engineer
MMC Member
MMC Partner
Sep 5, 2018
Iowa
cozychristmas.libsyn.com
Welcome Art! I too engage in the decorations too soon/they need to come down battles lol. I have been slowly, sneakily converting our basement into a Christmas Cave. I may just pull it off!

A Christmas cave? I like the sound of that! What do you have down there?

FrostyKnowsBest

Reindeer Rocketeer
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Oct 5, 2015
Michigan
www.mixcloud.com
A Christmas cave? I like the sound of that! What do you have down there?
A lot of lights, blow molds, Christmas LPs and a bunch of silent night deadly night memorabilia. It's my favorite Christmas horror movie. I'm just waiting for the tipping point,,,when I add one decoration too many,,,,then the cave will be uncaved. One never knows the perfect balance to keep a spouse happy.

sugar142286

North Pole's RN
MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Oct 2, 2010
Central Pa
Hi and welcome to MMC, Art!

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events