Pumpkin Recipes?

Skippy1707

Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class
MMC Member
Aug 20, 2017
Wales
Hi All,
Last year myself and the kids carved pumpkins and had so much fun that we will be doing it again this year.
I'm just wondering if anyone has any good pumpkins recipes - we carved the middle out of the pumpkins and it seemed like such a waste to just throw it away because I didnt plan ahead with anything to do with it.
Thanks in advance
Sammy
x

Festive Spirit

Christmas Royalty
MMC Lifer
Sep 11, 2012
England
Hi ,

I am sure you will get some great ideas here. There are so many creative cooks on MMC . I think there is a recipes thread too.

Unlike most I prefer pumpkin in savoury dishes. Here are a few dishes I make

Mash with potatoes and add some fresh herbs, olive butter, salt , pepper and parmesan.

Grate or chop finely and add to rice with a pinch of saffron and spices. Great as a side dish.

Pumpkin risotto ( if you like sea food you can add some shrimp/prawns in it)

Pumpkin bread ( great with smoked ham )

Add to soups or casseroles and stews and even chilli and meatball sauce ( serve with some pumpkin bread :) )
These are my favourites as you can just add to various recipes and add as much as you want. You can start with a little and see how you like it first and eventually find the right balance for you.

Grate or chop or shred into pasta, add a creamy sauce and crispy bacon. Sprinkle with herbs such as basil or sage or rosemary.

Saute with other seasonal vegetables and preferred herbs/spices. I like garlic, rosemary, peppercorns, sea salt and chilli.

I love it in savoury dishes and when I am not using the actual outer pumpkin to carve for halloween , I use it as a bowl to serve the dishes like the stews or risotto etc :) Great if you are entertaining family or friends :) I have even used to the pumpkin as a baking bowl in the oven to finish cook off the stews or casseroles.

Have fun and I hope you find a few dishes you like ! Please let us know what you find !

angelpugs

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Christmas Talk Alum
Dec 10, 2010
North Adams, MA
I bake many things pumpkin breads,muffins also enjoy making pumpkin biscuits which are great with many fall favorites,another is pumpkin cookies,a pumpkin roll,a pumpkin spice cake as i am a baker so everything right now is pumpkin and it will be applecider goodies and maple have orders ready to fill.

Holiday

MMC Christmas Angel 1971-2020
Christmas.com Alum
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 17, 2005
Ohio
I like to bake & freeze pumpkin! I wonder if it could be baked after removing from the shell...I wouldn't know why not??

Pumpkin Cookies

1 C. Brown Sugar
1 C. Sugar
¾ C. Shortening

Cream together & add:
2 eggs
3 T. Pumpkin Spice
2 C. Pumpkin

Mix Well

Stir in:
3 ½ C. flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 Tbsp. baking powder
pinch of salt

Bake @ 400º 8-10 minutes

Icing
10 Tbsp. Brown Sugar (1/2 C. + 2 T.)
4 Tbsp. Milk (1/4 C.)
4 Tbsp. Margarine (1/4 C.)
½ tsp. vanilla

Combine & heat to boil. Remove from heat & add powdered sugar to desired consistency. Spread (while warm) over cookies.

Pumpkin Spice Cake

1 pkg. Spice cake mix
3 eggs
1 C. canned pumpkin
½ C. water
½ C. veg. oil
1 pkg. instant vanilla pudding
1 tsp. cinnamon

Combine cake mix, eggs, pumpkin, water, oil, pudding mix, & cinnamon. Beat at med. Speed for 5 min. Pour into a greased & floured pan. Bat @ 350º for 45-55 min. Frost w/ cream cheese frosting.

Frosting:

8 oz. crm. Cheese
½ stick marg.
1 tsp. vanilla
1 box powdered sugar (varies according to desired consistency)

Pumpkin Roll

Beat 3 eggs at high speed for 5 minutes. Gradually add 1 C. sugar. Stir in 2/3 C. pumpkin & 1 tsp. Lemon Juice. – set aside

Stir Together:

¾ C. flour
1 tsp. Baking Powder
2 tsp. Cinnamon
1 tsp. Ginger
½ tsp. Nutmeg
½ tsp. Salt
(fold into pumpkin mixture)

Spread into greased & floured 15 X 10 X 1” pan. Top with 1 C. walnut pieces (optional.)
Bake at 375º for 15 mins.

Turn out on towel sprinkled with confectioners sugar & roll towel & cake. Cool 15-20 minutes.

Mix together & fill with:

1 C. Sugar
8 oz. Cream cheese
4 T. Margarine
½ tsp. Vanilla

Reroll & chill.

Caramel Pudding Pumpkin Cupcakes

(Makes 12 servings)
Per serving (1 cupcake): 108 calories, 2g fat, 188mg sodium, 21g carbs, 0.5g fiber, 12g sugars, 2g protein

Discover how to turn a 500-calorie muffin into a skinny 100-calorie treat. Lisa Lillien, author of the cookbook "Hungry Girl," shares her recipe for a guilt-free dessert.

Ingredients for cupcakes

2 cups moist-style yellow cake mix (1/2 of an 18.25-ounce box)
1 cup canned pure pumpkin
1/3 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute
2 tablespoons sugar-free maple syrup
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons Splenda No Calorie Sweetener (granulated)
**I didn't have granulated Splenda, so I used 2 packets (like for coffee)

Ingredients for topping
3 cubes (about 1 ounce) chewy caramel
2 teaspoons light vanilla soymilk
**I didn't have caramels or soymilk, so I used 2 Tbsp. caramel ice cream topping

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine all cupcake ingredients in a mixing bowl with 1/3 cup of water. Whip with a whisk or fork for 2 minutes until well blended.

Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with nonstick spray or line with baking cups. Evenly spoon batter into muffin cups.
Place pan in the oven and cook for about 12 minutes (until cupcakes have puffed up but still appear a little gooey on top).
Once cupcakes are cool enough to handle, arrange them closely on a plate so that the edges are touching. Place caramel and soymilk in a tall microwave-safe glass or dish (mixture will bubble and rise when heated).

Microwave at medium power for 1 1/2 minutes. Stir mixture vigorously until smooth and thoroughly blended. (Return to microwave for 30 seconds at medium heat if caramel has not fully melted.) Immediately drizzle caramel sauce over cupcakes.

Pumpkin Butter

1 (29 ounce) can canned pumpkin puree
3/4 cup apple juice
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Combine pumpkin, apple juice, spices, and sugar in a large saucepan; stir well. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes or until thickened. Stir frequently.
Transfer to sterile containers and chill in the refrigerator until serving.

Reactions: Skippy1707

hollyjollypeach

Reindeer Pooper Scooper
MMC Premiere
Jul 15, 2015
Savannah, GA
I second the pumpkin rolls and I also enjoy Pumpkin soup. It is savory and perfect for the colder days to help keep you warm. Plus it is filling.

Holiday

Christmas.com Alum
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 17, 2005
Ohio
I may have to make that Pumpkin Spice cake...yum!!
I have never made it but a co-worker at my previous job made it all the time & it was delicious!

Holiday

Christmas.com Alum
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 17, 2005
Ohio
I just got a new recipe over the weekend. Our neighbors friend made this a couple weeks ago & it was SO delicious! I was surprised to see how many pecans were in it. She must have had them ground up really well. I'm not always a nut in my bread person. Ha ha!
I will post this in the recipes thread also.

Pumpkin Praline Bread
1 - 14 ounce package pumpkin quick bread
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup oil
2 eggs
1 cup grated carrots
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

TOPPING
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup chopped pecans
1 teaspoon butter softened

350 oven
Combine all the bread ingredients mix just until combined pour into greased pan (2 small or one regular size bread pan) add topping and bake 20 to 30 minutes.

* at this time of year (fall) I stock up on quick bread and use Aldi's brand it's just as good.

Reactions: Skippy1707

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image