Thanksgiving Moments-Stories Shared

angelpugs

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Christmas Talk Alum
Dec 10, 2010
North Adams, MA
As i've seen we have many forum chats on thanksgiving so hopefully we can start one about our family here maybe get to know one another more kind of be a part of each others family trying to put a little spin on it all.Hoping we can all share our homes with each other like what an how are you going to spend thanksgiving,what are you serving,what do you like to make that may be different.Share how you start that Thanksgiving day,what do you do,just kind of bring a little of that blessed day to all of us to share,if you do a turkey how do you do yours?If you'd like you can share what your thanksgiving is like is is formal,cozy-country maybe i may be just a simple country table with those favorites we remember as a child growing up and as i know one tradition we all seem to have we watch that grand Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.

Reactions: Minta

angelpugs

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Christmas Talk Alum
Dec 10, 2010
North Adams, MA
My Thanksgiving day is putting turkey in oven around 4:20 am cooking it slowly as it's basted and onions are chopped in it,then i do my deviled eggs with a bit of pickle cut up in them and i get the cranberry sauce sliced up and put in refrigerator.It's a busy prep morning but,a wonderful one as i turn on all the lights which my home is decorated in christmas a week before as this was my mothers tradition which i now carry on and i get the oranges,bananas,grapes and things out.Later in the morning i put out my cheese and crackers and a few other things and i get my dishes out and things i'll be using which most is vintage-country.It's a nice family day as we'll finish preparing the food which is for us potato's white and sweet,stuffing,our vegetables,and i make my pumpkin biscuits which everyone loves and we of course go through pots of coffee.We also will go out and help the kids build a snowman which we usually always have snow and we'll go for a sled ride just those family moments that we treasure,of course it makes it cozy with my woodstove going and on top i have an old pot which i put together my own herbs and things and give it a smell of balsam as it's a family favorite.As in many homes we all gather and watch the Macy's parade together which is a family tradition in my home as well as most,it's a day of being together and being thankful which is something that is so important,we all need to be thankful not only for this day but,for our family and our friends,those moments and memories which are truly a blessing.untitled.png

angelpugs

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Christmas Talk Alum
Dec 10, 2010
North Adams, MA
I'm a lady who grew up in the mountians and we were taught many wonderful things mainly we learned how to live off the mountian and how to survive those seasons like winter.Growing up our parents instilled in us the meaning of family and that love of family which was in ways like the Waltons"as there were 8 of us and there were those hard times but,we survived them all.We had many wonderful Thanksgiving's,it was my mother,grandmother and my sisters in the kitchen preparing things and setting our table for the meal,which mom had the turkey in around 4:00 am as it was a large bird.That morning we were peeling potato's white and of course yams and we would help in making those homemade biscuits and my grandmother would put out her homemade applesauce which was so good as my dad and grandfather would restock our wood bin for the woodstove.It was always a cozy day as grandma's hot chocolate was on the woodstove keeping it warm and she would take a few christmas cookies that she made some sugar,molasses and put them on a dish and set them on the woodstove so they would be warmed.Sitting down to our dinner we would give thanks for all our blessings which the first was giving thanks to just being together as a family,it was so wonderful.I now carry on those traditions not only at Thanksgiving but,Christmas,Thanksgiving day is turkey in the oven at about 4:00-4:15 am and my son makes sure the woodstove is going good and i set my grandmothers hot chocolate on there and i'll put a few cookies on a dish and place them beside the chocolate.Not much has changed everything is from scratch biscuits,pies,cookies,and there is an old pot which has the scent of balsam on my woodstove in memory of my parents and grandparents and as we sit down together we give thanks for all those blessings we have received as we are so thankful for those moments,those precious moments we were born into and still live each and everyday and we are thankful for our parents and grandparents who gave us such an amazing legacy.

Minta

Rudolph's Groomer
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Oct 10, 2004
South NJ
Growing up on Thanksgiving, most of the time it was only me and my parents. My mom would make enough food to feed 12 people so of course we had a lot of leftovers for several days. My mom would get up early to make the stuffing and have the turkey in the oven by 6 am so could eat at 1. Nothing like waking up to the smell of sauté onions and celery .. love that smell!

Present day: I make/bake my pies and do a lot of prep work the day before Thanksgiving, including having the dinning room table all ready for Thanksgiving dinner. I also make several loaves of pepperoni bread to enjoy while at the high school thanksgiving football game and to snack on during day while watching the parade and football on TV. Each year we could have anywhere from 2 to 10 extra people for dinner, the more the better :) Some years the weather has been on warmer side and some on the colder side, personally I prefer the colder side :) The last time we had snow on the ground for Thanksgiving was almost 30 years ago. Dinner is around 4 pm and dessert around 6:30. The coffee pot gets a work out that day too. The kitchen and living room is one large open room so we can see the TV from anywhere in the kitchen which makes it nice to able to work on dinner and watch the parade and then the football games. The kitchen radio is also on and tuned into a local radio station that switched to all Christmas music for the season.

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image