Countdown to Christmas --
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This site uses "cookies". When you use My Merry Christmas we leave a cookie on you computer to remember your preferences and to improve your site experience. These cookies are NOT set for the purposes of collecting data of any kind. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.

The History of Carl, The 'Pines, and Fired Twinkies

Discussion in 'Christmas Countdown' started by Christmas-A-Holic, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Christmas-A-Holic

Christmas-A-Holic MMC Goodwill Ambassador MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Crew

Are you wondering who Carl is, what is The 'Pines and what Fired Twinkies are in our Countdown thread?

The history you are about to read was taken from one of Crown's post in the Countdown thread with an explanation:

OK.
    I'll try to review the history of some of the more -- well -- interesting characters and places mentioned here in our countdown thread.

First, of course, there is Carl.
    Ah, Carl! Our resident Camel.
    Born years ago over at Christmas.com, he came about as part of the long-running interplay between Binger and myself in regards to coffee vs sleep.
    (Carl's hump stored the finest blend of coffee which der Bingster coveted.)

Originally, Carl lived with me and was a frequent over-the-shoulder commentator when I posted the daily count.
    After a time, he began staying with willing thread contributors who agreed to be his host for short visits. After each visit, his antics were duly reported by the host for all to read and enjoy.

Over time, the humor wore a bit thin so Carl was mentioned less frequently. Eventually, he was dropped from the thread for several months until one of our members (Auntie perhaps?) inquired as to his whereabouts. At that point, it was revealed that Carl, owing to his unique ability to talk, had been offered an undercover position with the military on a secret spy mission in Saudi Arabia.
    On his release and return, he accepted the position of activities director at the Shispering Pines where he remains to this day.

Carl's personality traits: He's fun-loving, talkative, experimental (primarily with coffee blends of a questionable nature) and -- yes -- a bit vain to the point of narcissism.
    But under it all, he has a heart of gold and a guaranteed position at the 'Pines owing to his unique talents (and the fact the resort's business has tripled ever since his arrival).

That, of course, brings us to the 'Pines. The Shispering Pines, that is.
    Name-christened by our own Jayish after a typo which was supposed to read "Whispering Pines", our thread-resident resort eventually took on a "Holiday Inn" (meaning the 1942 movie) like flavor, especially after Carl's arrival and his tremendous love for Christmas in general and that movie in particular.
    Each Wednesday is open house day, where the first glass of sweet southern iced tea is complimentary along with the first Fired Twinkie.

Which in turn brings us to Fired Twinkies. That's right - FIRED Twinkes as (opposed to "fried").
    Again, a typo was to blame. (Believe it was Binger this time.)
    But our unique thread treat has endured, especially after becoming the official confection at the Shispering Pines.

Well, there you have it, folks. A thumbnail sketch of an explanation as to what has been going on here.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2017
  2. Yuletide Junkie

Yuletide Junkie Dang Near Santa Himself MMC Lifer MMC Donor MMC Premiere Member

The crowded and sophisticated part have no impact on the talented camel's adventures. However, the free wheeling part generates a ten to fifteen minutes stream of thought joke that fades out as quickly as it sparang to life. This is not conducive to the further exploits of our caffeinated hero.

5 people like this.
  3. Christmas-A-Holic

Christmas-A-Holic MMC Goodwill Ambassador MMC Lifer MMC Donor Santa's Elf Christmas Crew

Thanks to Bradmac and Maureen for coming up with the idea to have this info in a thread!

9 people like this.
  4. GingerMel

GingerMel Ornament Craftsman MMC Lifer

Interesting.

In all the years that I've been here I don't think I read the Christmas Countdown thread much until this year. Maybe that's why I never got it!

3 people like this.
  5. Christmasstar

Christmasstar one Crazy Canadian ! MMC Lifer

Thank you so much, this is great!
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  6. Snow-in-Texas

Snow-in-Texas Dang Near Santa Himself MMC Lifer MMC Emeritus Member

I want some fired twinkies. I almost typoed the typo, LOL.

4 people like this.
  7. MerryBells

MerryBells wants turkey! MMC Lifer

No matter how crowded we get at MMC, there will always be room for Carl and fired twinkies!

3 people like this.
  8. Holiday

Holiday North Pole Resident MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum

Absolutely! :grin:

2 people like this.
  9. Crown 84

Crown 84 Official MMC Countmeister MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum Christmas Crew Louann Jeffries Award

Thanks for posting this, Christmas-A-Holic.
    Never occurred to me to place such a post.
    Good idea.

2 people like this.
  10. RadioJonD

RadioJonD ♪♫Mistletoe Mix-ologist♫♪ MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum Santa's Elf Christmas Crew Christmas Talk Alum Kringle Radio DJ

As good a case of nutshelling as I've ever seen, Christmas-A-Holic!

As stated the earliest iterations of this continuing and ever building saga and Binger's Operas were housed in two former Christmas forums.

The first of these (going back an estimated ten to twelve years now) was lost due to a business transaction. Only archived fragments remain. Sadly, nothing is left of the other one after it was burned to the ground by a wreckless owner. Most of us managed to get out and land here and/or Christmas Talk.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
    5 people like this.
  11. snowberry

snowberry Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class Christmas.com Alum MMC Emeritus Member Merry Forums Member

I can't believe i've been missing out on all this fun. Serves me right for staying away so long.

snowberry :thumbsup:

12. Cetacea

Cetacea Cookie McChilly Merry Forums Member MMC Premiere Member

Finally I know what you all are talking about! Thank you so much.

2 people like this.
  13. Kimothy

Kimothy MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

Ditto! :smile:

2 people like this.
  14. gabulldawg

gabulldawg MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

OMG a camel with narcissistic tendancies...you can't beat that!:)

3 people like this.
  15. lilnoelelf

lilnoelelf Santa's Sleigh Designer MMC Lifer

Now I know the rest of the story.......................and thanks I'm not so lost anymore!!!

2 people like this.
  16. AuntieMistletoeDear

AuntieMistletoeDear MMC Hostess of Christmas Online MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum Christmas Crew Christmas Talk Alum

[​IMG] Enter Auntie M with proof that Carl won't go quietly into that great night ...

For I have stumbled upon my catalogue of his events when he visited my home many upon many merry moons ago.

2 people like this.
  17. AuntieMistletoeDear

AuntieMistletoeDear MMC Hostess of Christmas Online MMC Lifer Christmas.com Alum Christmas Crew Christmas Talk Alum

If there was a reality show for document tidbit hoarders - guess I'd be starring in at least one episode ...

Carl facts and tidbits - You know that camels prefer desert conditions and introduction into other climates have proven unsuccessful. They are not as easy to house as llamas and alpacas. Not to worry though, Carl is not a regular camel. He’s more like Santa’s magic flying reindeer in how they differ from regular reindeer. The consumption of coffee might have something to do with Carl’s ability to adapt to other climates aside from the desert.

He likes his caffeine. That is no surprise since there was a study done once involving three llamas and two camels that were used to determine if they could tell the difference between caffeinated and decaf drinks.They were further used to determine that their immune systems could produce antibodies that are not destroyed at the high temperatures associated with common brewed beverages (also including tea and cocoa - some guesses included eggnog blends).

So the experiment and the fact that Santa gave Carl an extra hump to store his beverages makes him adaptable to various climates and aided with his ability to consume at least a gallon of coffee a day without affecting his health.

I took Carl to visit the llamas nearby. There are four of them, three females and one male. I’m sure it will come as no surprise that Carl fancied one of the females and she fancied him. The male llama started to spit, but soon herded the other two females away from Carl so he could not take over his place among them.

Carl and Clarice caught along quite well. They went for a run in the field together while I chatted with the owners. They were surprised to discover a three-humped camel not to mention one that can dance and drink coffee like it’s water.

We left the farm in the late afternoon and Carl wanted to stop at the JavaPlace again to fill up. There was a poetry session in progress. Carl saw my neighbour and his wife drinking pumpkin spiced coffee over near the window at a small booth for two.

He had the Camel Whisperer translate his poem for the crowd.

Carl's poem was featured during a visit to the Shispering Pines in the countdown thread - here it is again -

Ode of a Camel

The obvious plan
    To frolic wherever I can.
    To dream and to be
    To dance ‘cause I’m free
    To travel around
    Where caffeine is found
    To socialize with friends
    Where the fun never ends
    That is the obvious plan.

Here a few things I’ve noticed about Carl that I feel compelled to pass along:
    He drools. He always has a little saliva hanging from his lips. Not too attractive. I gave him a dashing bandana and have taught him to wipe his mouth frequently.

He will test all limits. CedarFarm managed to get him to sleep out in the shed and several of us discovered he moves right in.

He knows how to hold and play cards and apparently learned how to drive although not that well.

He loves to dance and fancies himself a show camel with the ability to dance to different forms of music to amuse various audiences.

He likes any of the female camelids and has a slight fascination with equines. He gets along with most domestic pets as long as he knows they are there. If he is spooked, he tends to spit - just ask O’Malley the cat.

When he gets wet from the rain or melting snow, he smells worse than a dog that was sprayed by a skunk, but you get used to it.

He is fun to have around. He is sociable and outgoing - likely the caffeine keeps him movin’.

He eats the saltier and more bitter plants and bushes that other animals would find less tasteful, but anything goes at a salad bar.

I have taught him to wipe his feet before coming inside.

There is a little rebel inside Carl, but if he gets you into a jam, he’ll likely have the know-how to get you out of it.

Carl loves Christmas. It’s likely because of his encounter with Santa many years ago.

The Pines Camel

There once was a Camel who had three humps
    Who learned how to play cards and do funky jumps
    Who traveled the world afar
    Got a traffic violation when driving a car

By sweat and much molting
    He makes coffee blends that are rather jolting
    He’s working’ at the Shispering Pines
    Where the Playhouse Opera sends shivers up our spines
    While Binger works on operas & sipping blends
    Others wandered in and created plaid trends.

[​IMG]

RadioJonD, Rich, MsRose and 6 others like this.
  18. ChristmasHeart

ChristmasHeart MMC Emeritus Member MMC Emeritus Member

Ah-ha! Everything you wanted to know about Carl, The 'Pines and Fired Twinkies...but were afraid to ask! :lol:

Thank you for this thread...and thank you Made for pointing me to it!

1 person likes this.
  19. trackrebel

trackrebel candy cane hustla MMC Lifer

thx to Snowflake22, who gave me link for this thread....I now know about it.....I always thought the Pines was a time and place where You guys meet to chat online or something....lol...

1 person likes this.
  20. AuntieMistletoeDear

[​IMG]
    I simply can't resist posting here again for some of the new and newer members to discover our fun-filled Carl and Shispering Pine Adventures.

If I were a camel and I had three humps
    I tell ye what I would do
    I'd buy me some nog
    Start a PINES blog

Come gather there, won't you!