Whats your Thanksgiving Traditions

Minta

Rudolph's Groomer
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Oct 10, 2004
South NJ
Oh now that sounds amazing i have never had that would you share the recipe ?

Either make pizza dough or buy frozen pizza dough from the store and let thaw out. Roll out dough into rectangle shape, sprinkle garlic powder over dough, over dough with a layer of thinly sliced provolone cheese, a layer of thinly sliced pepperoni over provolone cheese, sprinkle layer of shredded mozzarella cheese. Repeat with layer of pepperoni and finally a layer of provolone. Start with one of the long sides, roll up into a log. Place on cookie sheet. Bake at 400 for 15 to minutes. Let sit for 10 minutes and then slice.

Saki.Girl

Twinkle Light Checker
MMC Member
Sep 29, 2019
Oregon
Either make pizza dough or buy frozen pizza dough from the store and let thaw out. Roll out dough into rectangle shape, sprinkle garlic powder over dough, over dough with a layer of thinly sliced provolone cheese, a layer of thinly sliced pepperoni over provolone cheese, sprinkle layer of shredded mozzarella cheese. Repeat with layer of pepperoni and finally a layer of provolone. Start with one of the long sides, roll up into a log. Place on cookie sheet. Bake at 400 for 15 to minutes. Let sit for 10 minutes and then slice.

Thank you i am going to try this

shrcpark

Christmas Decorator
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Jun 15, 2018
Sounds so good.

Reactions: Saki.Girl

sugarmuffin25

Christmas Fanatic
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Oct 18, 2016
Ohio
Usually Thanksgiving is just me and my husband but my mom will be joining us this year since my father passed earlier this year. All of my Christmas trees (with the exception of the live tree) get put up first week of November so by Thanksgiving everything is decorated. We try to find a tree farm open the day before thanksgiving; sometimes we get lucky, sometimes we have to wait till Friday to get the live tree. Either way, it is the last tree to get decorated. Our dinner is usually fried turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, succotash, cranberry sauce, sweet potatoes, and rolls. Sometimes corn pudding and one year I made a maple bacon cornbread in a cast iron skillet that was so good; I may have to do that again! Pumpkin pie for dessert. We cook a lot because we like a lot of leftovers and we will also freeze what we don't eat for future meals. I always make a stock out of the turkey carcass and we usually have homemade turkey noodle soup that Sunday. I am not a Black Friday shopper but I will run out to a store Thursday evening if there is something I absolutely can't pass up. Otherwise, it is on-line shopping and watching football for us all day!

Saki.Girl

Twinkle Light Checker
MMC Member
Sep 29, 2019
Oregon
Usually Thanksgiving is just me and my husband but my mom will be joining us this year since my father passed earlier this year. All of my Christmas trees (with the exception of the live tree) get put up first week of November so by Thanksgiving everything is decorated. We try to find a tree farm open the day before thanksgiving; sometimes we get lucky, sometimes we have to wait till Friday to get the live tree. Either way, it is the last tree to get decorated. Our dinner is usually fried turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, succotash, cranberry sauce, sweet potatoes, and rolls. Sometimes corn pudding and one year I made a maple bacon cornbread in a cast iron skillet that was so good; I may have to do that again! Pumpkin pie for dessert. We cook a lot because we like a lot of leftovers and we will also freeze what we don't eat for future meals. I always make a stock out of the turkey carcass and we usually have homemade turkey noodle soup that Sunday. I am not a Black Friday shopper but I will run out to a store Thursday evening if there is something I absolutely can't pass up. Otherwise, it is on-line shopping and watching football for us all day!
Ok everything sounds awasome

SnowflakeMom

Rudolph's Groomer
MMC Lifer
Apr 22, 2014
Connecticut
We usually have some type of take out on Wednesday night.
I usually prepare the stuffing and we set up all the tables and chairs since we host.

Saki.Girl

Twinkle Light Checker
MMC Member
Sep 29, 2019
Oregon
We usually have some type of take out on Wednesday night.
I usually prepare the stuffing and we set up all the tables and chairs since we host.
we have done that in the past also makes it easy since so much is all ready going on for the next day

Saki.Girl

Twinkle Light Checker
MMC Member
Sep 29, 2019
Oregon
I need to go buy are ornaments for the ornament exchange we have now that a lot of stores here have Christmas out i can start looking

amypep

Merry Forums Newbie
MMC Member
Oct 31, 2017
New Orleans
We always have Hot Buttered Rum while we watch the parade. That's probably the tradition we are most committed to... ;)

I do go out alone on Black Friday. I started doing it one year when I happened to wake up at 4 in the morning and couldn't get back to sleep. I find now that the shops open on Thanksgiving night, it's actually pretty calm between 5-7 on Black Friday. At least here, it seems like that time is mostly people like me who just want to hear the first Christmas carols in the mall, people wearing matching elf ears and Christmas tees, drinking their first sips of peppermint mocha of the season. Things start to get crazy as it gets light out, I get in my car, hit the drive thru Starbucks and bring mochas and cocoa back to my guys.

Then we go get our tree. We always waited to get our live tree, afraid it would dry out. But then a couple of years ago my husband read in This Old House or somewhere that since the November trees are cut at the same time as the December trees that they actually dry out more if you leave them in the lot than if you bring them home in November and keep them well watered. So we've been getting our tree the day after Thanksgiving and leaving up until January 6th ever since then and it looks great!

novelist

Ornament Craftsman
MMC Lifer
Nov 7, 2007
connecticut
-glitterstocking-The day before Thanksgiving, I set up ahead of time all that i can. I also make my stuffing and butternut squash casserole. On Thanksgiving morning, I make a baked omelet for breakfast. We also have fruit, toast and pumpkin bread with our breakfast. My husband and i exchange one small gift .

Saki.Girl

Twinkle Light Checker
MMC Member
Sep 29, 2019
Oregon
We always have Hot Buttered Rum while we watch the parade. That's probably the tradition we are most committed to... ;)

I do go out alone on Black Friday. I started doing it one year when I happened to wake up at 4 in the morning and couldn't get back to sleep. I find now that the shops open on Thanksgiving night, it's actually pretty calm between 5-7 on Black Friday. At least here, it seems like that time is mostly people like me who just want to hear the first Christmas carols in the mall, people wearing matching elf ears and Christmas tees, drinking their first sips of peppermint mocha of the season. Things start to get crazy as it gets light out, I get in my car, hit the drive thru Starbucks and bring mochas and cocoa back to my guys.

Then we go get our tree. We always waited to get our live tree, afraid it would dry out. But then a couple of years ago my husband read in This Old House or somewhere that since the November trees are cut at the same time as the December trees that they actually dry out more if you leave them in the lot than if you bring them home in November and keep them well watered. So we've been getting our tree the day after Thanksgiving and leaving up until January 6th ever since then and it looks great!

i have never had Hot Buttered Rum

Saki.Girl

Twinkle Light Checker
MMC Member
Sep 29, 2019
Oregon
-glitterstocking-The day before Thanksgiving, I set up ahead of time all that i can. I also make my stuffing and butternut squash casserole. On Thanksgiving morning, I make a baked omelet for breakfast. We also have fruit, toast and pumpkin bread with our breakfast. My husband and i exchange one small gift .

sounds very yummy

ballcoach

Christmasologist
MMC Lifer
Jan 1, 2017
Let's bump this back up to the top and see how traditions have changed....

Over the past 3 years, things have looked a little different. Now, Thanksgiving is at my house. We cook each day of the week....

Monday and Tuesday, we are watching Christmas TV. On Wednesday, we might not eat pizza...but my Mom is out here hanging out with us and we usually play a board game. Thanksgiving...we eat at 2:00 and watch some football. That night, I have started watching It's a Wonderful Life....well...because it is. Friday is still shopping with Doc...she gets more hard core about Black Friday every single year....

You know the tradition that I have grown to love? The Saturday after Thanksgiving....being a bum, watching some college football, and hanging out with a fire outside.

sugarmuffin25

Christmas Fanatic
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Oct 18, 2016
Ohio
Our Thanksgiving traditions are pretty much the same each year, but for some reason last year we decided to order a Thanksgiving meal from a local restaurant. Big mistake. It was not very good. And who wants to be disappointed for the biggest dinner of the year? I still can't understand what possessed me to make that decision last year, but I won't make that choice again! In fact, recently my husband asked me "you are cooking for Thanksgiving this year, right?" Which tells me he wasn't too pleased either! So, I am starting to plan out my menu. That weekend is also our wedding anniversary, so I usually plan a nice meal for that day as well. Plus, we get our live tree the day before Thanksgiving. All in all, it is one of the, if not THE, best weekend of the year!

LadyLynn

The Christmas Freak
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Jun 22, 2020
Riverton, Utah
Our Thanksgiving traditions are pretty much the same each year, but for some reason last year we decided to order a Thanksgiving meal from a local restaurant. Big mistake. It was not very good. And who wants to be disappointed for the biggest dinner of the year? I still can't understand what possessed me to make that decision last year, but I won't make that choice again! In fact, recently my husband asked me "you are cooking for Thanksgiving this year, right?" Which tells me he wasn't too pleased either! So, I am starting to plan out my menu. That weekend is also our wedding anniversary, so I usually plan a nice meal for that day as well. Plus, we get our live tree the day before Thanksgiving. All in all, it is one of the, if not THE, best weekend of the year!
Getting to have your anniversary Thanksgiving is something to be THANKFUL for, for sure.

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image