Maureen

Merry Forums Super Administrator
MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Aug 24, 2007
Displaced Canadian now in Perthshire, Scotland
Hot on the heels of the "I have a confession" thread in Valentine's Day, which holiday do you think is the most pointless??

I've a vague recollection of something like this before, but for the benefit of our newest members, I'll throw it open again!!!!

Reactions: 2 people

HolidayHoney

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Jul 27, 2008
To me it's Valentines Day....why invent a holiday to beat a young girls ego down???? ( or anyone for that matter) In the workplace or school, roses are delivered, and if you are single then there are no roses for you!! Even in elementary school this happens!!! I have sent flowers to kids before just to make sure they could "fit in". I'll shut up now.

Reactions: 3 people

trackrebel

candy cane hustla
MMC Lifer
Aug 23, 2008
Germany
sports.groups.yahoo.com
Valentine´s Day....it´s so commercial...I just don´t like it...and I ain´t the lovey dovey person anyway....I still take the presents :D....and I give too...cos I like to see a happy face...but last year my fiance and I did not give anything to each other....cos of the money

Reactions: 1 person

VeryWelshXmasLover

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Sep 24, 2008
South Wales, UK
Valentines Day is not a holiday that I particularly like (husband does tho lol).

The other that I don't enjoy is Halloween - but I know that it's because of how the kids behave that live around here that makes it so un-enjoyable for me (they are incredibly badly behaved with zero respect to cut a looooong story short lol).

I'm sure that when I move, that I will start to enjoy Halloween :) How daft does that sound??

snowytree

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Jul 16, 2008
GA
I have to totally agree with Valentines' Day myself! They already have tons of it out already at the stores.

Santa's Helper

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 14, 2007
Out there
I've heard of Sweetest Day before because a guy I work with celebrates it with his wife. I don't like Valentine's Day, Sweetest Day and I'm sure I'm going to get blasted for these next two but, I hate Mother's Day and Father's Day! Sorry, but I do!

Meceka

MMC Associate Editor
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 27, 2008
Mid-Michigan
I like CharlestonNole's idea of adding a drinking festival to Valentine's Day!

Mumof2

One Happy lil Elf
MMC Lifer
Oct 23, 2007
Boston, Ma
www.facebook.com
I Dont like Father's day.My dad is gone and it friggin kills to see all those dam cards I wanna set them on fire..My FIL'S bday kills too,My dad died on it.Poor Mr.Marco..lol

SW1Dennis

Mrs. Claus' Executive Assistant
MMC Lifer
Jun 14, 2007
Chandler AZ
:sparkle:

I'll say it again, I despise Valentines Day. How its even called a holiday, I will never know.

The only good thing about Valentines Day, my late grandmother (my dads mom) was born on Valentines Day in 1900.

joyful

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Sep 25, 2006
northeast USA
Boy it's so sad to see how someone's good wishes can be made into something that people can not stand.
I personally find nothing wrong with Valentine's Day. If we go by unhappy events happening on a holiday, then why do we like Christmas? This is a forum that loves Christmas and yet no doubt many people have lost loved ones and have bad memories about Christmas but does that make it a bad holiday?

A celebration is what you choose to make it. Be happy when your fellow office worker gets a dozen red roses, what a nice gesture, why rain on her parade? I personally believe that flowers should be given year round so the person can enjoy them anytime, not just on Valentine's Day. But at least that is one day when a wife or mother may get flowers that may not arrive for her the rest of the year.

Be happy for those who still have their mother's and father's to celebrate those special days set aside. Sure I wish I could still buy those cards but why should I hate the fact that others can still buy for their parents? There are beautiful cards that express what some have a hard time saying in person and when a parent receives those cards, they know and feel they have done their best raising that child. Raising a child to be a responsible, productive adult is not an easy job, in fact it is the most difficult job to take on and sometimes a parent never sees the end results but in the meantime while they are still here, they might just get a beautiful card on that special day set aside that tells them their efforts were not in vain.

Do I have a holiday that I do not celebrate, sure I do but do I try to rain on other's parade who love the holiday? No I do not. If I am asked if I celebrate it, my answer will be no and I will not elaborate on the why unless I am asked.

Some may not agree with me and that's ok. We all have choices. But everyone has the freedom to express their opinion and this is my opinion.

Maureen

Merry Forums Super Administrator
MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Aug 24, 2007
Displaced Canadian now in Perthshire, Scotland
I think you've kind of picked this up wrongly. I don't see anybody, in any post, begrudging another person any happiness they may personally get from these days.

Of course you're happy for somebody if they get a dozen red roses. Doesn't stop you feeling rotten because you don't have a significant other to give them to you. It's bittersweet on Mother's Day - I receive a card and a present from my son and yet I can no longer do the same for MY mother.

I think this thread is more about pointless holidays - Sweetest Day so far seems to fit the bill perfectly.

What exactly is Arbor Day??? Some sort of tree glorification????

G

George Broderick, Jr.

April Fool's Day -- I HATE pranks... 'nuff said.

Halloween -- for anyone over 12

Labor Day -- does anyone else see the irony of having "sales" and making store employees work on Labor Day..?

And how come there are no holidays in August..?

Santa's Helper

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 14, 2007
Out there
Yes! April Fools Day. I forgot about that. Every year the radio stations broadcast the wrong time on the radio so that everybody thinks that they are running late for work.

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image