Which is the most pointless "holiday"??

olympicfan

Chestnut Roaster
MMC Member
Jan 5, 2009
South Carolina
um Parents day anyone? we have Mothers day. We have Fathers day. Why do we need a parents day?

Reactions: 1 person

rodmonster

Santa's Personal Trainer
MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Jul 27, 2008
Va
=)

I am with ya!
Long live Valentines Day!
=)

Boy it's so sad to see how someone's good wishes can be made into something that people can not stand.
I personally find nothing wrong with Valentine's Day. If we go by unhappy events happening on a holiday, then why do we like Christmas? This is a forum that loves Christmas and yet no doubt many people have lost loved ones and have bad memories about Christmas but does that make it a bad holiday?

A celebration is what you choose to make it. Be happy when your fellow office worker gets a dozen red roses, what a nice gesture, why rain on her parade? I personally believe that flowers should be given year round so the person can enjoy them anytime, not just on Valentine's Day. But at least that is one day when a wife or mother may get flowers that may not arrive for her the rest of the year.

Be happy for those who still have their mother's and father's to celebrate those special days set aside. Sure I wish I could still buy those cards but why should I hate the fact that others can still buy for their parents? There are beautiful cards that express what some have a hard time saying in person and when a parent receives those cards, they know and feel they have done their best raising that child. Raising a child to be a responsible, productive adult is not an easy job, in fact it is the most difficult job to take on and sometimes a parent never sees the end results but in the meantime while they are still here, they might just get a beautiful card on that special day set aside that tells them their efforts were not in vain.

Do I have a holiday that I do not celebrate, sure I do but do I try to rain on other's parade who love the holiday? No I do not. If I am asked if I celebrate it, my answer will be no and I will not elaborate on the why unless I am asked.

Some may not agree with me and that's ok. We all have choices. But everyone has the freedom to express their opinion and this is my opinion.

Faith4always

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Aug 17, 2008
Lafayette, LA USA
I love Valentine's Day. In fact, I like the following holidays.
The other ones - don't care about at all.
But the ones I DO like-
New Year's Eve/Day
Valentine's Day
Easter
Memorial Day
Flag Day
4th of July
Labor Day
Veteran's Day
Halloween
Thanksgiving
Christmas

I think that's all the ones I like.

MsChristmas

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Aug 8, 2008
Maryland, USA
Im not a big fan of April Fool's day just because I dont really see a point in it? And of course I hate to be tricked! I dont have a problem with the other Holidays..some are too commericalized but thats just the way it goes. As for Valentines Day when I was too young for a boyfriend or just didnt have one some years my parents always bought us (me and my Brother) an ice cream cake and a little card and candy. We got that every year no matter if we had boyfriends/girlfriends or not. For that reason I have always liked Valentines Day even if I wasnt in love on it! I plan on doing that with my kids cheesy

Maureen

Merry Forums Super Administrator
MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Aug 24, 2007
Displaced Canadian now in Perthshire, Scotland
But which do you think is the most pointless?????

I love Valentine's Day. In fact, I like the following holidays.
The other ones - don't care about at all.
But the ones I DO like-
New Year's Eve/Day
Valentine's Day
Easter
Memorial Day
Flag Day
4th of July
Labor Day
Veteran's Day
Halloween
Thanksgiving
Christmas

I think that's all the ones I like.

ILuvChristmas

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Jan 28, 2009
I don't know of any that is pointless. Most of them involve showing love, having fun, and being thankful for our freedoms!

Snow-in-Texas

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Lifer
MMC Emeritus Member
Jun 28, 2009
Dallas, TX
The pointless holidays are the ones that I don't get a day off of work.cheesy

Reactions: 2 people
B

ballcoach

Haha!! I know the feeling! Personally, I like all of them...now, no flowers or anythign like that on Vday, we just save that money and apply it to eating out at a really nice place....anybody every heard of Texas de Brazil?

Christmas-A-Holic

MMC Goodwill Ambassador
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Santa's Elf
Jun 21, 2009
Deep in the Heart of Texas!

You're silly! Actually, you and I work every holiday. (I guess it really don't feel like work tho, lol). My job is closed on all major holidays but my husband and I go in just to feed the animals. We are closed today for Labor Day but about to leave to feed them. It only takes us about an hour and nice to see the little critters. My Christmas morning starts out at work so the furry friends can get their Christmas meal but then I come home for family fun! cheesy

As far as pointless holidays, April Fools Day would be one of them and I am not that big into it but I have been guilty of pulling some silly harmless pranks, nothing extreme.

Snow-in-Texas

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Lifer
MMC Emeritus Member
Jun 28, 2009
Dallas, TX
My wife's birthday is February 13, so I can kill 2 birds with one stone (just a figure if speech honey, don't get mad, no birds actually die.) I usually get her something and take her out to eat. I always wish her a happy Birth-valentines day.cheesy

Sapsorrow

Twinkle Light Checker
MMC Member
Jan 4, 2010
State of Anticipation
Off the cuff, I'd say that I've never met a holiday that I didn't like. We even invent our own firstfruits holidays whenever a food that we love comes into season, like the old fashioned strawberry festivals people had! We turn Election Day into a holiday by taking the whole day off, taking the girls out for breakfast where we read editorials on the issues and candidates out loud from the paper. We even started making colonial costumes to wear on Thanksgiving and Election Day (to prod people into voting).

I personally love All Fools' Day and think nothing could be finer than having a topsy turvy day. Nor can I object to Valentine's Day, or even Sweetest Day. Not to sound like a Moulin Rouge (the movie) Bohemian, but beauty, truth and love, romance and chivalry ought to be celebrated wherever and whenever they occur! When my girls are old enough to notice that others have lovers when they do not, I'll still be lavishing them with their own gifts and I'll coach them to play friendly Valentine's Day pranks as I did before I was allowed to date. As I see it, it doesn't matter to me whether other people get materialistic about the holiday, it doesn't change how I celebrate.

That said, the "holidays" I'm least interested in are political "official days" and "appreciation days" and "this or that months." The only Labor Day I'll celebrate are my daughter's birthdays. We all work, we don't need a day of work to mark that we work. Nor am I impressed with modern Mother's Day, Father's Day, Childrens' Day, Grandparents' Day or Parents' Day, all of which I think were superceded by Mothering Sunday, which was a holiday because of the tradition that that day everyone would go to the parish they grew up in, which resulted in family reunions.

caninemom3

MMC Christmas Angel (1954 - 2013)
MMC Lifer
MMC Emeritus Member
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
Labor Day has always seemed a little pointless to me...........

Annette

Christmas Princess
MMC Lifer
Oct 2, 2007
Washington
I would also say V-Day. I agree it's overrated. We don't get all into this Holiday either. I may make a nice dinner at home for my family. I definately don't want s/o getting flowers and all that kind of stuff because it's over priced (especially on V-Day you pay twice as much if not triple). S/O and I usually get our daughter a balloon with a small bag of candy because the school sales these for a few bucks and all the parents get their kids one. I remember when d/d started kindergarten. Being her first year of school I didn't know they did this sort of thing. My daughter and a few other kids didn't get anything...she was a little hurt about it. I felt terrible to say the least. So from there on out we do get her this little gift. As for s/o and I we don't get into all of it with each other(I already know how much he loves me). He likes the fact that he doesn't feel pressured like some of his guy friends do. cheesy
I

Snow-in-Texas

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Lifer
MMC Emeritus Member
Jun 28, 2009
Dallas, TX
Well since I never really answered this question, I would have to agree with what seems to be the one most people are saying, Valentines Day. I don't need a special day to show my wife how much I love her, I try to show her every day. If I don't tell her I love her at least once a day (it is usually more) I feel like I am missing something in my day.

Christmas-A-Holic

MMC Goodwill Ambassador
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Santa's Elf
Jun 21, 2009
Deep in the Heart of Texas!
Well since I never really answered this question, I would have to agree with what seems to be the one most people are saying, Valentines Day. I don't need a special day to show my wife how much I love her, I try to show her every day. If I don't tell her I love her at least once a day (it is usually more) I feel like I am missing something in my day.
I AGREE! cheesy

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image