Which is the most pointless "holiday"??

gabulldawg

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Sep 29, 2010
Hill AFB,Ogden Utah
St. Patty's day-wait no,you can drink that day and not be treated like a lush.
Labor day-well as a kid this always meant "back to school" now it means a 3 day weekend. so no.
And believe me I have spent a few valentines day's single and I guess I may have been a little blue that day.I don't know which one I would say is the most pointless to me. is there a kids day?? if so then that one!

whitney37354

Rudolph's Groomer
MMC Lifer
Jan 16, 2009
Tennessee
No holidays are pointless to me. Any day I'm still alive & kicking is a holiday to me! I think everyday is "National Something or Other Day" if you get on the internet & find out. Some of those are probably lame or pointless.

MerryBells

wants turkey!
MMC Lifer
Sep 3, 2006
Pasadena, MD
Groundhog Day burns me up. All those groundhog cards! It's so commercialized these days. And it's so harsh if you don't have a groundhog of your own. I felt like I was the only kid in school without a groundhog. One year my Mom gave me a hamster, but it wasn't the same thing. And I knew it was my Mom that gave it to me, so it didn't count. Now that I have a groundhog of my own, I think I can show my appreciation and we can take note of their shadow ANY day of the year. We resent the social pressure to observe my groundhog's shadow on this one particular day. It's just an excuse to sell cards and movies. /joke

I agree with you 100 percent. I think I'll start a new holiday; Hermit Crab Appreciation day. Everyone can see who has the most intellegent pet crustacean, and for once it will be fun to be crabby. :wink:

Adam

Formally xrockchild
MMC Member
Apr 11, 2010
California
People might kill me, but I think Mothers day is not really my fav holiday only because I have an inlaw that acts like a diva around mothers day. She plans her own mothers day, to her son: "we are going here and then we are doing x, y, z." Can you believe that? But my mother is so easy, I get her a little gift, a card and its over. There is not a "child day," so I don't understand "mothers/fathers day." There is already birthdays, so I don't feel the need to spend a ton of additional funds. I think flowers is good enough as mothers day isn't a REAL holiday. Don't mind my venting. Its just unpleasant.

Valentines day is the next runner up.

Reactions: 1 person
B

ballcoach

I announce a new holiday.....first Friday in each December will be known as MMC day. I'm taking off that day....it's a day to relax and finish all Christmas shopping.

Reactions: 5 people

whitney37354

Rudolph's Groomer
MMC Lifer
Jan 16, 2009
Tennessee
Just a thought: Why do I get gifts for my birthday? Shouldn't my mother be the one getting gifts for going through an unmedicated labor & delivery & for raising me for the first 20 years of my life? I never appreciated my mother until I became a mother myself.

Reactions: 1 person

momnan30

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Feb 15, 2008
Wisconsin
Hot on the heels of the "I have a confession" thread in Valentine's Day, which holiday do you think is the most pointless??

I've a vague recollection of something like this before, but for the benefit of our newest members, I'll throw it open again!!!!
Agree that these aren't really classic holidays, but I dislike the Hallmark created celebrations such as "grandparents day", "sweetest day", "secretaries day", blah, blah, blah. Treat people nicely every day is my philosophy. You can't make up for being a jerk with a card saying sweet things once a year. (Sorry, I know I sound cynical here!)

Adam

Formally xrockchild
MMC Member
Apr 11, 2010
California
Agree that these aren't really classic holidays, but I dislike the Hallmark created celebrations such as "grandparents day", "sweetest day", "secretaries day", blah, blah, blah. Treat people nicely every day is my philosophy. You can't make up for being a jerk with a card saying sweet things once a year. (Sorry, I know I sound cynical here!)

YES, exactly! LOL Same goes for mothers day.

whitney37354

Rudolph's Groomer
MMC Lifer
Jan 16, 2009
Tennessee

I agree, but as a secretary who hasn't been recognized at all for the last 5 Administrative Professional Days, it kind of stinks. I love my job and I'm grateful for it, but it would be nice to be appreciated at some point. Because I do my job well, they are able to better do their jobs. If I did sloppy, half-rearend work, they would sure be complaining about me, so why not say "thank you" when I'm helping you look good!

sublimesting

Twinkle Light Checker
MMC Member
Nov 8, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Are we going with
A category holidays like Christmas, HAlloween etc
B category like Valentines Day, St. Patrick's Day etc
C category like President's Day Columbus Day?
D category like Sweetest Day, All Saint's Day etc?

There are some worthless holidays out there that shouldn't even count. President's Day....Columbus Day Flag Day. WTF, Why do these even count as anything but a simple remeberance.....why is our govt shut down on these days?

Then we have stuff made up like Secretaries Day Sweetest Day...but also some ancient holidays that are just totally glossed over like All Saint's Day.

I'm going to go with something B level and say St. Patricks Day. It's only purpose is to drink and is a celebration of nothing really. At least Valentine's Day is celebrated by everyone in some way. Most people don't really get all mushy on this day and the older you get the more you neglect it. BUT, it's fun to eat chocolates and help your child celebrate....and a good excuse to go out to dinner. St. Patty's Day, to me is too close to Easter and I'd rather decorate for the more colorful Easter than that.

kgstyles

Mistletoeologist
MMC Lifer
Nov 12, 2006
Grand Forks, North Dakota
I agree with some that if you don't want to celebrate a particular holiday then don't. Personally, I think sweetest day needs to go, it's just a ripoff of valentines day!

redkaga

Elf Supervisor
MMC Lifer
Jul 23, 2012
Ohio
I think Valentine's Day can be a great day for some and a horrible day for others.

I thought Labor Day was pointless until I read about its history as a way of celebrating the American workers and the rise of unions around the turn of the 20th Century. The value of unions can be debated today, as well as whether people should be forced to work on that day. But knowing the way American workers were often treated before these reforms, the success of the labor movements is something I'm willing to celebrate.

I think pointless holidays include Sweetest Day and Grandparents Day. We don't need another Valentines Day in October, and we celebrate grandparents on Mothers and Fathers Days.

Head Elf

Mrs. Claus' Executive Assistant
MMC Lifer
MMC Emeritus Member
Christmas Talk Alum
Jul 8, 2007
N.E. Arizona
A lot of these holidays have great pasts or history. I don't appreciate the commercialization of them and most of the today's people have forgotten the history of them.

Flag Day for us in the United States is a day in June to celebrate our Flag. The adoption of our flag, which it also happens to be the Army's celebrated birthday. It is not an official day, but we wanted a day of celebration in June.

Arbor Day started back in the 1800's, just an improvement day... then in the 1960/70's we got EARTH DAY....(pointless).

April Fools Day long history there.... back to Medieval times

Grandparents Day, Parents Day, Sweetest Day are new days made up to have a second chance to show your love you love them. I like sweetest day better than Valentines Day, but that's me.

Ground Hog Day- when some little (actually quite large) rodent comes out of his burrow and if he sees his Shadow 6 more weeks of winter or 6 more weeks til spring. UM, duh, it is always 6 more weeks til Spring....
POINTLESS

St. Patricks Day - I'm of Irish Protestant heritage, me celebrating a Catholic holiday is nuts, I don't wear green and if someone comes up and pinches me they are going to get punched. But I understand the background of this holiday... and as an Irishman, who doesn't like a day to drink.

Labor Day - the creation of the Labor movement and is dedicated to Social and economic achievements of the American Worker. Supposed to be a national Tribute for all the workers have done, "strength, prosperity and so on.... " sounds like a Union holiday to me.

Christmasstar

one Crazy Canadian !
MMC Lifer
Nov 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada eh!
I do not think any holiday is pointless.

Each one has something unique and special about it.

Some we celebrate with great gusto, others are virtually ignored. I think it depends on how you were raised and what your family partook in.

Of course international speak like a pirate day on September 19 may be the closest to pointless I can find!

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image